• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question LE SSL on two Plesk Servers for one domain.

Dave W

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9.2009 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44.3 on both servers
Greetings brains trust,

So I have a domain, mydomain.tld set up as follows;
Website is hosted on Server A,
Mail, DNS, Webmail etc is hosted on Server B.

I can add a LetsEncrypt SSL to the website on Server A as it validates using the wellknown file challenge.

I cannot secure webmail, mail etc using a wildcard SSL on Server B for this domain because this process also seems to use the wellknown file challenge and because the site is hosted on Server A, Server B cannot create the file on this server.

I had thought that because I am securing the domain using a wildcard LE SSL that the domain would be validated using a DNS TXT record challenge and so I would be able to use the wild card SSL on Server B for mail and webmail.

Any hints welcome?
Rgds
Dave_W

I've ran into the same challenge and have circumvented this limitation by also using the server thats used for mail for the www traffic of the domain, which redirects traffic to main domain. Using the www domain/part on the server for the mail let's you setup a LE certificate. (I hope my explanation makes sense)

I cannot secure webmail, mail etc using a wildcard SSL on Server B for this domain because this process also seems to use the wellknown file challenge and because the site is hosted on Server A, Server B cannot create the file on this server.
I got around that by mounting the .well-known directory from server B on server A. It gets a bit tricky if you need the two directories to fuse, though.
I had thought that because I am securing the domain using a wildcard LE SSL that the domain would be validated using a DNS TXT record challenge and so I would be able to use the wild card SSL on Server B for mail and webmail.
Huh. I thought wildcards need DNS because you have to show you control more than just one webhost.

Back