• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Let's Encrypt failed before issuing acme challenge code

JohnBee

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.03
Plesk version and microupdate number
Latest
I have a problem that started today, in-where Let's Encrypt certificates are being rejected upon issuing, and before being given the acme-challenge code ...
I have had this problem before and it was never rectified, and here it is again...

It helps other users a lot if you also post details about issues you encounter. That way it's easier to understand the specifics of your issue and offer you suggestions or solutions. Contrary to popular belief, the users on this Plesk forum aren't clairvoyants (with the exception of @Peter Debik of course).

In this case you most likely got a warning or error message, which (usually) contains useful information about why issuing the certificate failed. That information is critical in making exact suggestions to solve the issue.

Plesk also has a Help Center which contains many, many useful articles. For example I got these two result just by Googling "Plesk Let's Encrypt failed". Those results might be useful to you. Although I am not sure if they match you issue.

Last edited:
It helps other users a lot if you also post details about issues you encounter. That way it's easier to understand the specifics of your issue and offer you suggestions or solutions. Contrary to popular belief, the users on this Plesk forum aren't clairvoyants (with the exception of @Peter Debik of course).

In this case you most likely got a warning or error message, which (usually) contains useful information about why issuing the certificate failed. That information is critical in making exact suggestions to solve the issue.

Plesk also has a Help Center which contains many, many useful articles. For example I got these two result just by Googling "Plesk Let's Encrypt failed". Those results might be useful to you. Although I am not sure if they match you issue.
The issue went away on its own and without indicating the cause - I experienced a similar situation last year, which also ended in a similar fashion.

That said, the issue is as follows;

1. A domain is activated and confirmed(fully propagated) in Cloudflare

2. The domain is added in Plesk

3. The respective DNS records are loaded into Cloudflair - no acme_challenge record is set

4. Let's Encrypt Certificate is issued for the domain in Plesk - all settings default

5. Plesk returns validation error stating acme challenge failure - along with the respective code

The issue of course, is where the code was not provided to begin with, and that there was no potential for setting the record for validation.

Having said that, and after careful deliberation, I'm beginning to question my web browser(Brave), which has been the subject of quirky behaviours lately - namely that of missing popups in such cases as validation codes and captcha, and so there is a potential for further inquiry.

Though as stands I don't have enough information to draw any meaningful conclusions, as this seems to be a repeating condition, and where it comes and goes without indication.

I think I may have discovered the culprit - ie, the default Cloudflare proxy service, appears to be interfering with 'Let's Encrypt' certificates
With that said, does anyone know if there is a method of setting to allow Cloudflare proxy service to work with Plesk Let's Encrypt SSL?

Back