• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Lets Encrypt Webmail.domain.com

Yes! I do but still I get SSL error just for webmail

Yes, I've notice this too.

Reason why you receive this SSL error is - Lets Encrypt does NOT issue a wildcard SSL certificate. It is only issue a certificate to domain.tld and you have a option to include www.domain.tld.

How to create an Lets Encrypt cert for webmail.domain.tld?

That it is now possible to use a Lets Encrypt cert for webmail is a great feature. But all users must acceppt the cert in the here browsers because it is not a subdomain cert ;-)
It must be possible to create a Lets Encrypt cert for webmail.domain.tld in plesk!!

Hi RaHa,

It must be possible to create a Lets Encrypt cert for webmail.domain.tld in plesk!!
Yes that IS possible. ;)

Unfortunately, there are still some "easy" steps missing, over the Plesk Control Panel, but you might consider to use the following solution as a work-around:

Pls. note: The following steps assume, that you already created a Let's Encrypt certificate for the domain ( either with, or without "www" )​
  • Pls. DISABLE webmail - support for the specific domain
( HOME > Subscriptions > YOUR-DOMAIN.COM > (tab) Mail > (tab) Mail Settings > (choose the domain and click onto ) Webmail Plesk-Onyx_Webmail_disable_001.png
  • Pls. CREATE the subdomain "webmail" at YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
  • Make sure, that if you use an external nameserver from your domain registrar, you now have to setup an "A" - DNS - entry for "webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM".
  • Use the following command ( as user "root" over SSH ) to EXPAND the existent certificate for YOUR-DOMAIN.COM with the additional domain "webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM"
    Code:
    plesk bin extension --exec letsencrypt cli.php -d YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -d www.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -d webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM --email [email protected] --expand

Your existent certificate should have been expanded now.
If you experience issues/errors/problems here, pls. consider to add the corresponding log - file from "/opt/psa/var/modules/letsencrypt/logs" for further investigations!
  • Now, pls. DELETE the created "webmail" subdomain again over the Plesk Control Panel.
  • Pls. ENABLE the webmail - support for your specific domain again.
Pls. check your current certificates at for example ( pls. change the YOUR-DOMAIN.COM - example - URLs! ):

This is all in the hope that within a few months it gets direct support from Plesk?
Or will it keep maintaining that subdomain after it's gone?

I tried to make a solution using a URL /webmail using nginx.
That solution would not need an extra URL to work as it's based on the original one.
For some reason that didn't work.
Some other fancy stuff I did in nginx worked flawless.

I posted this "solution" here and hoped to get some answer that helped me further, but no-one replied.
I still don't know why it is not working. Probably some minor detail.

Question - nginx not doing what I want it to do

If Plesk would natively start implementing the /webmail URL they would circumvent this whole letsencrypt (extra) handling.

Last edited:
Hi mr-wolf,

This is all in the hope that within a few months it gets direct support from Plesk?
Or will it keep maintaining that subdomain after it's gone?
Yes, I still think, that Plesk will improve the Plesk Let's Encrypt Extension, so that it is less complicated to install a valid Let's Encrypt certificate for "webmail" and "mail" ( and others as "lists" and "autodiscover" ), without to worry about ( possible ) issues at renewing processes. :)

If you desire to discuss other things which are not part of the thread topic ( and it's starting post ), pls. consider to open a new thread. ;)

Hi RaHa,

Yes that IS possible. ;)

Unfortunately, there are still some "easy" steps missing, over the Plesk Control Panel, but you might consider to use the following solution as a work-around:

Pls. note: The following steps assume, that you already created a Let's Encrypt certificate for the domain ( either with, or without "www" )​
  • Pls. DISABLE webmail - support for the specific domain
( HOME > Subscriptions > YOUR-DOMAIN.COM > (tab) Mail > (tab) Mail Settings > (choose the domain and click onto ) Webmail View attachment 12498
  • Pls. CREATE the subdomain "webmail" at YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
  • Make sure, that if you use an external nameserver from your domain registrar, you now have to setup an "A" - DNS - entry for "webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM".
  • Use the following command ( as user "root" over SSH ) to EXPAND the existent certificate for YOUR-DOMAIN.COM with the additional domain "webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM"
    Code:
    plesk bin extension --exec letsencrypt cli.php -d YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -d www.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM -d webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM --email [email protected] --expand
Your existent certificate should have been expanded now.
If you experience issues/errors/problems here, pls. consider to add the corresponding log - file from "/opt/psa/var/modules/letsencrypt/logs" for further investigations!
  • Now, pls. DELETE the created "webmail" subdomain again over the Plesk Control Panel.
  • Pls. ENABLE the webmail - support for your specific domain again.
Pls. check your current certificates at for example ( pls. change the YOUR-DOMAIN.COM - example - URLs! ):

Will it Work after the expiration of the said certificate?

issue is the challenge let's encrypt needs to write in order to verify if that is a valid domain by dns, I do not know how the revalidation works but if it is with the same logic wont if fail after two months upon revalidation?

Hi Rudi Servo,

the mentioned suggestion is STILL a work-around and shouldn't be seen as a replacement for future updates/upgrades/patches from Plesk for the Plesk Extension Let's Encrypt. The Plesk developpers are still working to improve the extension, but some things take a bit longer than other ones. ;)

At the current moment, you have to repeat steps
Pls. DISABLE webmail - support for the specific domain
Pls. CREATE the subdomain "webmail" at YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
Make sure, that if you use an external nameserver from your domain registrar, you now have to setup an "A" - DNS - entry for "webmail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM".

Then use the "renew" command ( as already created in your serverwide "Scheduled Tasks" ):
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/bin/php -dauto_prepend_file=sdk.php '/opt/psa/admin/plib/modules/letsencrypt/scripts/renew.php'

... and continue again with the previous steps:
Now, pls. DELETE the created "webmail" subdomain again over the Plesk Control Panel.
Pls. ENABLE the webmail - support for your specific domain again.

and finally:

;)

@UFHH01,

I have a question, because I had not tested it yet. Is the SSL certificate automatically renew even if the webmail subdomain is not present?

I am going to try and test another way, instead of disabling the webmail subdomain, maybe just redirecting it to the local webmail? Dont know if it is even feasible but I will try.

@UFHH01,

Was thinking most of these steps can be handled via php or bash script since we have access to the Plesk CLI. What your thoughts?

Step 1) Disable the mailserver >(here we can grab the current value and store in a variable or pass it to a temp text file.)

Code:
#this gives us our current value for the domain.
plesk bin subscription_settings -i example.com | grep "Webmail:"
#disabled the webmail subscription
plesk bin subscription_settings -u example.com -webmail none
"-webmail horde|roundcube|none . Switches webmail on or off for a subscription." (reference commands)​

Step 2) Create Webmail Subdomain
Code:
 #create subdomain
plesk bin subdomain --create webmail -domain example.com -hard_quota 1G -ssi true -php true -ssl true

... just examples.

Hi Daniel Willitzer,

the reason why I didn't provide any further suggestions, how to automate this process, is still the fact that the Plesk developpers are really working to solve all the issues/problems. If we provide "complete working solutions", the Plesk community/users get used to it and consider it as normal and that is what "work-arounds" never should be. Your suggestions will surely work, but as stated, I don't recommend automations for "work-arounds". ;)

Hi Daniel Willitzer,

the reason why I didn't provide any further suggestions, how to automate this process, is still the fact that the Plesk developpers are really working to solve all the issues/problems. If we provide "complete working solutions", the Plesk community/users get used to it and consider it as normal and that is what "work-arounds" never should be. Your suggestions will surely work, but as stated, I don't recommend automations for "work-arounds". ;)

✅ Agreed..

Hi Daniel Willitzer,

It isn't that much of a deal to develop that change even for production

here is a sugestion
you just have to change the webmail template to something like this

PHP:
Alias /.well-known/acme-challenge/ "/var/www/vhosts/<?php echo $VAR->domain->asciiName ?>/webmail.<?php echo $VAR->domain->asciiName ?>/.well-known/acme-challenge/"
        <Directory "/var/www/vhosts/<?php echo $VAR->domain->asciiName ?>/webmail.<?php echo $VAR->domain->asciiName ?>/.well-known/acme-challenge/">
            AllowOverride None
            Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
            Require method GET POST OPTIONS
        </Directory>

and make the necessary change in the let's encrypt add-on to actually write the chalenge to another folder other then the one I suggested in the code...
as for security concerns, place it somewhere else, folder reads and writes and what not.

Back