• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

libxml2 error when trying to use yum

KingSky

New Pleskian
Hi,

Please take note right away that when it comes to Linux I'm a rank newbie :p so please make any explanations simple and verbose if possible.

I tried installing yum on my redhat 9 linux box with plesk 7.5r. Before I could install yum, there were a couple of dependencies to take care of, libxml2, libxml-python, and python 2.3

I was able to get all of these installed, but now when I type "yum check-update" I get the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
ImportError: No module named libxml2

I think that libxml2 is correctly installed.. if I try to re-install it it says that libxml2 is already installed.

I've searched all over for this problem and did find a couple of obscure messages indicating that it 'might' be related to the fact that I installed python 2.3 when python 2.2 is already installed, but I don't know what that means or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
-Kevin

Back