• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved [Linux Ubuntu server] "The following packages have been kept back"

LionKing

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Linux
Plesk version and microupdate number
1677173213506.png

The following packages have been kept back:
grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin grub-efi-amd64-signed python3-software-properties shim-signed
software-properties-common
Do you guys know anything about this and is this related to that Plesk somehow holds back updated they do not deem compatible or "upgrade safe"? :rolleyes:

I been running Linux servers for years in my life and our company and never stumbled over this issue that updates are not installed, but held back instead.

I have been testing inside Plesk own "System tools >>> System Updates" but the OS updates are not even listed there - maybe they are suppressed by Plesk and thus not listed - or is this something else?
1677173758215.png

Any Ideas/feedback on this?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
LionKing

When you let Plesk manage system updates, Plesk just runs commands to do the updates that's considered safe. But when you do the updates manually Plesk has no say in it.

Instead, what you're experiencing is a bug with Ubuntu. Refer to grub-efi-amd64-signed dependency issue in Ubuntu 22.04LTS for an explanation and you can also refer to grub held back from update for weeks

Basically try to update just one of the ones that it's reliant on and try the whole upgrade again.

Thanks for the link and the information. Very helpful.
I'll will read the articles which have linked to. ;)

Back