• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

localhost smtp broken after plesk 9 upgrade (with solution)

Yesterday afternoon I applied the latest 9.0.1 update. Didn't seem to fix the 553 problem and could have possibly made things worse as I'm getting reports today from customers of slow outbound mail and other strange errors. God how I wish I hadn't left 8.6...

I'm almost scared to do the .1 update.. i think i'll wait for a while

LOL

I've installed the update too, without fixing the problem. I saw, that the domain was deleted in:
/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

After running psa/admin/sbin/mchk qmail is again working as expected and the domain is listed in the files. Let's see, if the mail-transfer is still working tomorrow. I don't use SPF, i've installed spamdyke for Spam-Control...

Markus

I've installed the update too, without fixing the problem. I saw, that the domain was deleted in:
/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts

After running psa/admin/sbin/mchk qmail is again working as expected and the domain is listed in the files. Let's see, if the mail-transfer is still working tomorrow. I don't use SPF, i've installed spamdyke for Spam-Control...

Markus

Again, every morning qmail is broken. I have to run 'psa/admin/sbin/mchk' and reboot the server - that fixes until next morning :-(

Markus

I have an answer

I paid to open a support ticket with Parallels. To their credit, their first and second line support people worked many hours on the issue. (To remind readers, my problem was the 553 rcpthosts error constantly coming up.) They finally isolated it to a problem with the smtp_poplocks database.

The bad news is that there's nothing that can be done until Parallels gets around to another update. It's a design flaw that requires some recoding. So those of us stuck on this island are going to remain there until that release comes out. Whenever that is. :(

now i've installed two cronjobs: one does the qmail-config-rebuild, the second one does a autmatic server-reboot at night. Today qmail was running as expected, but rebooting the server should only be a temporary solution...

Hope that parallels will fix the problem soon!

Markus

have you installed qmail-scanner and/or clamd?

If so, remove it and reinstall psa-qmail from plesk repository

By me this went good

SOLUTION (for me at least)

I had SMTP running on an alternate port since port 25 is blocked for most. I was also getting the rcpthosts error. To correct:

1. I enabled "Enable Mail Submission" in the Plesk mail settings. This set up port 587, which I was able to send mail through immediately with no problems.

2. I following the steps at http://support.theplanet.com/kb/controlpanels/plesk/how-can-i-configure-qmail-run-another-port-my-plesk-linux-server to set up the alternate port again, and then it started working. I think some of the configuration in that file may have changed.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Regards,
Jeff Wickenheiser

Parallels has just released Plesk 9.2! Anybody who has had the 553 problem and has installed the 9.2 update please post their results. Those of us who were burned and lack the courage to leap first would like some feedback on how effective the new release is.

I actually just upgraded some hardware and had the following problem.

CentOS5.3 EL5 x86_64 fresh install - clean
Plesk 8.6 latest version install - clean

Moved one of my clients to the box and they started getting the 553 error. Moved them back and it stopped. Was advised to upgrade Plesk to the latest release 9.2.1. So I started over with a clean install of CentOS and a clean install of Plesk 9.2.1. As a test I went ahead and moved a test domain into place and experienced the same 553 rcpthosts not in my list of approved senders error.

I'm still searching for the fix and have to say it's looking like an issue with relaylocks not closing down or being unable to write to the db.

Anyone with an official update or patch would be greatly appreciated.

'Cert

I ran into this problem as well on a fresh install of 9.2.2. It seemed the problem only occured over the submission port (587). This thread got me to looking at the xinetd config files that plesk sets up for submission. The file was very different from the SMTP file. This is the origonal file.

service submission
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = qmaild
instances = UNLIMITED
env = SUBMISSION=1 SMTPAUTH=1 SHORTNAMES=1
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true

As you can see the env tag doesnt have POPAUTH=1 (wich is how we do our SMTP auth) and the server_args is missing the relaylock and rblsmtpd binaries. The last thing that seemed to be causing all the problems is the user is set to qmaild, where as in the smtp_psa file it is set as root. Ive changed my submission_psa file to the following and am no longer getting the 553 rcpthosts error when trying to send mail over that port.

service submission
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
disable = no
user = root
instances = UNLIMITED
env = POPAUTH=1 SHORTNAMES=1
server = /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
server_args = -Rt0 /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r zen.spamhaus.org -r bl.spamcop.net /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
}

Back