• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Lost days until I figured out it was a Plesk issue with ionCube

Izaim

Basic Pleskian
Username: Izaim O.

TITLE

Lost days until I figured out it was a Plesk issue with ionCube

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian, Version 18.0.31 Update #1, CentOS Linux 8.2.2004 (Core)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

I've spend days figuring out what was the issue with my WHMCS installation. I had latest version of Plesk, latest version of PHP and latest version of WHMCS 8 that supports PHP 7.4.

Until a week later, I figured it out that Plesk ships PHP 7.4 with a buggy ionCube loader (10.4.0) by default and had to download the latest (10.4.5) and replace the loader on my server manually.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Install WHMCS 8
2. Change PHP handler to PHP 7.4.x
3. Load the Website

ACTUAL RESULT

Code:
3538742#0: *1368336 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream

EXPECTED RESULT

No Error and load site normally I guess.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please fix this before pushing another update for 18.0.31 and again replace my manually installed ionCube loader with the old and buggy one.

ionCube team identified this bug when used with WHMCS: Loader Download - PHP Encoder, protection, installer and performance tools from ionCube (Recent Loader Changes)

All that's left is Plesk doesn't ship this old loader, I am sure many PLESK + WHMCS users are experiencing this bug.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Similar issue here: zend_mm_heap corrupted with PHP 7.4 and ionCube 10.4.2

I think it's Plesk's responsibility to ship the latest third-party libraries, because you made a decision and choose to ship it in the first place! And of course, if you believe your purpose is to ease web management.

If you don't regularly update it, just don't ship it. Current ionCube version you're shipping is totally useless to thousands of WHMCS and other users facing similar issues. All you have to do is, update a library to the latest version.

Thank you.

1. Plesk ships ionCube loader 10.4.2 for PHP 7.4, not 10.4.0.
  2. Installing an update for Plesk 18.0.31 doesn't overwrite ionCube loader binary. Only installing an update for respective PHP version does.
  3. WHMCS 8 actually requires ionCube loader >= 10.4.3 for PHP 7.4. See ionCube version compatibility.
  4. We've filed PPPM-12557 request to update ionCube loader shipped with our PHP 7.4.

Thanks for corrections @IgorG, re-checked, you're right. But still no excuse not to update it already -- if the version you ship whichever it is, makes a big platform like WHMCS useless for all Plesk users. And thank you for forwarding it to devs, appreciate it!

Back