• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

mail forwarding loop

madimar

New Pleskian
Hi all, migrated some weeks ago from a cPanel shared host to a Plesk VPS. In the migration, I've been not able to replicate with success mail forwarders configuration I had on cPanel. Please check here below, how this can be fixed. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk 11.5.30

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
My need is to forward emails directed to a specific local address to another local address and viceversa. This configuration cause a mail forwarding loop:

The mail system

<[email protected]>: mail forwarding loop for [email protected]

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail forwarding loop for [email protected]

The same simple configuration was working perfectly on a cpanel based host.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Really simple:
1) To create an email address, e.g. [email protected] with a forwarder to [email protected]
2) To create another email address: [email protected] with a forwarder to [email protected]
3) To send an email to one of previous addresses.

ACTUAL RESULT

This is the mail system at host vps.carebsrl.it.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: mail forwarding loop for [email protected]

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail forwarding loop for [email protected]

EXPECTED RESULT

No error and mail sent to both addresses, possibly avoiding duplicates.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

To fix this issues you will have to remove one of you mail forwarder from your panel. Because you have create mail forwarder from [email protected] TO [email protected] abd again from [email protected] TO [email protected]

To be really honest this is not a solution, maybe I was not clear in my description. I NEED to have all emails directed to PLUTO going also to PIPPO and VICEVERSA (all emails to PIPPO going also to PLUTO).
How to achieve it? On cPanel hosts this configuration was simply possible. I can't believe that PLESK and Postfix aren't able to manage a simple anti-loop mechanism (example, with some specific headers).

Please advice.

Regards,

M

This is not too difficult to understand... if you create forwarders, which loop back to any previous forwarder, the anti-loop mechanism will be in effect - otherwise the eMails are not stored in any eMail - accounts and will be forwarded ... and forwarded... and forwarded....

Example 1:

[email protected] , [email protected] and [email protected] should all receive eMails send to each of the 3 eMail - adresses, then you will have to create a 4. eMail - adress as the "main" - forwarder and definite receiver.

[email protected] forwards to: [email protected]

[email protected] NO forwards at all.

Example 2:

All eMails to [email protected] should be forwarded to [email protected] , [email protected] and [email protected].

[email protected] NO forwards at all

[email protected] forwards to: [email protected] / [email protected] / [email protected]

This is not too difficult to understand... if you create forwarders, which loop back to any previous forwarder, the anti-loop mechanism will be in effect - otherwise the eMails are not stored in any eMail - accounts and will be forwarded ... and forwarded... and forwarded...

Man, it is not difficult to understand, this is a big limitation of Plesk if it is not able to manage it simply, FULL stop.
There is no complexity in general, but it is incredible there is no suitable solution for it.
Cpanel works flawlessly. The forwarder should be simply implicitly created with a simple anti loop rule (on B for example) : forward all the received messages not forwarded by A.
BUT it seems this is incredibly complex in year 2014.
Regards,
M

Hello
I have same problem Do you have any solution for this issue. !!!!!
Anas, I was not able to find a solution. Just a workaround, not really and completely effective.
I created a forwarder only in one direction, e. g. A to B.
Then on B local PC, using Thunderbird as mail client, I was able to create a simple custom filter rule forwarding back all the received messages, if not received/delivered by A.
As definitive solution, I already planned to switch back to a cpanel based host for new year, because this is a serious issue for our business.
M

Back