• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail not functioning properly after IP address move.

S

seanstephens

Greetings All.

Here is the background info. We took 2 plesk 8 machines off of our existing network and moved them to another data center. In doing this we had (obviously) to change the ip addresses assocaited with the machines.

Now we were able to get the websites up and running fairly quickly however now it seems like email is not working correctly. If I telnet into the machine locally (telnet localhost 25) then I get a 220 code right away (Service ready code). Now if I try to telnet into the other machine it takes about a minute to get the 220 code, and sometimes it times out.

Now this doesnt happen on our other network and I'm going to assume it has something to do with the IP move. We've disabled the firewalls on the machines etc, so its not that.

Anybody got any ideas.

hmmm,

I just read somewhere that an SMTP connection does a reverse DNS lookup before it allows the connection (or something to that effect). Anyways,is there a way I can disable it.

Thanks again.

BUMP

I have the exact same problem, after getting new IP-address do to a new backbone.

I've contacted the plesk support, but they don't care :( Just another reason to consider changing the CP from PLesk to ex.hspare

Hello,

There are few things that can be checked.

1) dns servers from resolv.conf should answer fast.(this is the most common)
2) -Rt0 switch in etc/xinet.d/smtp_psa
3) the hostname is set up properly:
hostname -f should returna a good value.
4) If al of these do not have effect I would force reinstall qmail .

The -Rt0 thing is something we always have to configure to stop mail sending being extremely slow.

I'm not sure this is your problem, but if you have changed IP make sure you have told your ISP or whoever handles your IP addresses to setup reverse DNS on your new IPs. You'll have massive problems sending mail if you haven't got:

host -> IP (A name record)
IP -> host (rDNS)

Originally posted by blank_page
Hello,

There are few things that can be checked.

1) dns servers from resolv.conf should answer fast.(this is the most common)
2) -Rt0 switch in etc/xinet.d/smtp_psa
hostname -f should returna a good value.
4) If al of these do not have effect I would force reinstall qmail .

The right locations on FreeBSD as I use:

1) dns servers from resolv.conf should answer fast.(this is the most common) (what is considered as fsat?)
2) -Rt0 switch in etc/inetd.conf (Done, but not the right way to do things)
hostname -f should returna a good value.(FreeBSD - use hostname, and working percetly)
4) If al of these do not have effect I would force reinstall qmail . (FreeBSD - Not posibel)

Back