• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail password rejected

M

manu

Hi,

Sometimes I have problems setting up new Email accounts: I get an error message telling me that the passwor I entered is not in the right format. But this happens, when I use passwords, that I already used successfully for other accounts.

Is it possible that there is some kind of check, if a password has already been used for another account? I wouldn´t see much benefit in that.

I have also disabled the option to check passwords with the dictionary.

Thanks for your help!

Manu

Plesk uses the same login name for POP3/IMAP accounts as in email. For example, if you have a mailname [email protected] with the password "secret", then this user will login to the POP3/IMAP server as aaa:secret.

If you have another mailname with the same name in another domain [email protected], then you can't have the same password for this user, because POP3/IMAP server cannot distinguish them (POP3 and IMAP does not know anything about domains).

In another words, plesk uses a pair login/password for POP3/IMAP user authentification.

That is the reason why Plesk do not allow you to create mailnames with the same name and paswords in different domains.

BTW you can change this behaviour in a SERVER -> MAIL page:

(*) Use of short (webmaster) and full ([email protected]) POP3/IMAP mail account names is allowed

( ) Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed

If you choose the second option, then you can create different mailnames with the same names and the same passwords in different domains. But ALL you mail users MUST use full email address as POP3/IMAP login. Aslo note that if you change this option and create such the same mailname, then you cannot change that option back.

Back