• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail quota exceeded

T

Thomas Pawluc

Hello,

we have a Problem with our Mailbox-Quota.
If we set the amount to 2097155 KB for the Mailbox-Quota in the Domain Limits, the user can send and reveive mails. But if we set the value to > 2097155 KB (e.g. 2097156 KB) , the user can not receive mails anymore and the sender gets the following message:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at server.de.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Mail quota exceeded.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we delete the maildirsize File, the user can receive his mails again, but the Mailbox-Quota isn't working anymore and if someone changes something in the Domain settings in Plesk, the maildirsize File occures again and the user can not receive mails anymore again.

This issue occurs after we have updated our Plesk from 8.3 to 9.0.1 (8.3 -> 8.4 -> 8.6 -> 9.0 -> 9.0.1).
The os where Plesk is running is an Debian sarge.

Someone an idea how to solve this problem?
I'm thankful for any hint.

Regards
tomek

Forgive me... isn't that 2+ TERRABYTES??? Maybe my head's off on the
math but we do 25000KB per box and haven't hit any issues. You have
people with THAT much per message, I want your HSP! You've gotta have
the fat pipe of the millennium!

Uh say what?

Hello, we have a Problem with our Mailbox-Quota.
If we set the amount to 2097155 KB for the Mailbox-Quota in the Domain Limits

Is it me, or is that over 2 TERRABYTES?? We go 25000KB per mailbox and last I
did the math - that's 25GB of space and that's more than enough, even more than
most places would give someone on a freebie! So why would you want anyone
having something that huge? KB means add 3 0's on the end of whatever # you
put in that box... so you're saying over 2,097,155,000 - or 2.01 TB, not GB or MB.

Sorry but we fill KB in this field and 2097155 KB are 2 GB (Gigabyte)

2097155 KB / 1024 = 2048.00293 MB
2048.00293 MB / 1024 = 2 GB

Our max value is 2 GB and we have to limit the Maílbox-Quota to 4 and 10 GB.

2097155 KB are not 2 TB

Sorry, but 2097155 KB are not 2 TB.

2097155 KB / 1024 = 2048.00293 MB
2048.00293 MB / 1024 = 2 GB
2097155 KB -> 2 GB

We want to set the Mailbox-Quota to 2GB, 4GB and 10GB.
But we can not set the value for the Mailbox-Quota over 2097155 KB (2GB ;) )

Someone knows this Problem or have an idea to solve this?

Nobody knows this Problem or have any ideas?
We can not set the Limit value over 2048MB.

Seriously, it's so uncommon I've never heard that mentioned before - even back to 7.5ish and on pre-Parallels Ensims? Might require (sadly) a ticket filed to get them to look at it as it's hardcoded and without attempting to screw with something on the command-line level vs. using the GUI - you're stuck. A low limit like that nowadays does seem a bit strange, but since places like Hotmail, Gmail and others are giving up 5-10GB for free - why are your users being given such a huge amount of space? I'm curious, not nitpicking...

Gmail/Google does offer a tie-in setup, gotta check out their website for the complete details as I don't have them all the time but even I use Gmail primarily instead of my on-box accounts. If the box goes south - gotta have a valid backup to get status mails and trouble ticket replies from as it is.

Are you clients sending such huge things to need limits like that and storage? Have you considered them using the provided and non-capped (beyond domain limitations you set) FTP for such things instead? I've got clients using EDP stuff like mad - all via FTP because even with a huge mailbox quota it'd get insane.

Also, in at least 9.0, aren't the Mailbox quota's 'unlimited' as an option? I've hit the checkboxes where you can limit the size of each mailbox OR it's unlimited restricted only by the size of the space assigned to that domain. Sadly means one person can be 20GB of a 50GB allotment while others aren't, kind of removes those limitations, but it'd be at least a small workaround? You'd have to monitor their account limits yourself and self-admin those oversized ones until you determine if and how this could be fixed in the GUI.

One last idea, find the spot in the system for these quotas and manually edit them? Not sure why anyone's messing with those GUI settings as you indicated but you should have full Admin rights to restrict button access to those parts so they can't screw them up - instead fill out a ticket with you and have you change what little needs to be done. We're talking stuff very infrequently messed with, so this shouldn't be an issue at least while you get a full answer on the simple way to do it?

Just some ideas since there's no responses!

Dave

Also, in at least 9.0, aren't the Mailbox quota's 'unlimited' as an option? I've hit the checkboxes where you can limit the size of each mailbox OR it's unlimited restricted only by the size of the space assigned to that domain.

This is how we have done this. Each Mailbox quota is unlimited. The Limit is assigned to the domain.

So i will probably need to open a ticket to solve this problem :(

anyway thanks

Back