• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question mail server vs multiple domains

itexpertnow

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Linux
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi,

I am new to plesk, I have a big server with several domains. I am wondering how to setup the mail server, should I create a separate mail server for each domain? or should I use the main domain email server for all the other domains?

if I use the main domain email server, how to manage postfix config? it will be general for all domain right?

also, I noticed the autodiscover is not always working, some domains is working perfectly, and others are not working... any advice on that?

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Mail server: There is only one mail server per machine or instance. It is not possible to run separate mail servers for each domain. The mail server is normally addressed by the hostname, not the domain name. The mail server's name is mostly irrelevant, it is just a name. The Postfix configuration applies to all domains hosted on the same server.

Autodiscover: Have you checked in the mail settings of the domain that autodiscover is turned on?

How to do this properly?

I am thinking I should change the server hostname to mail.maindomain.com or maindomain.com what do you think?
hostnamectl set-hostname mail.maindomain.com or maindomain.com ?

also the same question for PTR, which domain name should I use for the PTR?

Then the postfix config:

myhostname = mail.maindomain.com

mydestination = maindomain.com domain1.com domain2.com

[...] I am thinking I should change the server hostname to mail.maindomain.com or maindomain.com what do you think?
Use a sub domain. So mail.maindomain.com would be good.

hostnamectl set-hostname mail.maindomain.com or maindomain.com ?
Set the hostname trough Plesk. Either via GUI (Tools & Settings > Server Settings) or via CLI plesk bin server_pref --update -hostname host.example.com. That way the hostname gets changed at all the relevant places.

also the same question for PTR, which domain name should I use for the PTR?
Your PTR should point to your servers host name.

Then the postfix config:

myhostname = mail.maindomain.com

mydestination = maindomain.com domain1.com domain2.com
If the hostname is updated/changes via Plesk (as mentioned above) you don't need to change anything in the Postfix config. Plesk does that for you.

I installed plesk today

Installation:
1. I created a new VPS, then set the hostname to itexpertnow.com
2. I configured reverse DNS to: mail.itexpertnow.com
3. Rebooted the machine then, I install plesk from Plesk Web Installer

After installation completed, I added a domain and generated SSL, then tested sending email from the server:

Could someone please help me to fix these 2 issues:

1. Spam Test Result

You're not fully authenticated
Your IP address is associated with the domain mail.itexpertnow.com.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from itexpertnow.com.

2. itexpertnow.com Domain Health
The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel. (http://itexpertnow.com)

@itexpertnow If itexpertnow.com is your website domain, it is not advised to use the same domain as a hostname. Instead please consider to user a designated subdomain like server.itexpertnow.com as the hostname of your machine. This will then also be the technical mail sender domain. It is completely unnecessary to set that to "mail.itexpertnow.com" or anything else. The visible mail sender domain is not determined by the mail hostname, but by your arbitrary sender configuration in your mail software.

Back