• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

mailman-bounces?

H

HopChop

Hi,

Is there anyway to configure so that bounces to a mailman list is sent to the list owner?

When the monthly password reminders were sent out, I noticed that postmaster got some bounces because the address mailman-bounces@<server>.<domain> didn't exist. I noticed that i /etc/aliases there is an alias mailman-owner that sends these mails to postmaster, but nothing about a site-wide mailman-bounces. Should there exist such an alias?

However, what I would expect is that if I create a list called "milk" under the domain "butter.com". If a member address doesn't work, the bounces would go to [email protected], not as it seems in my case to mailman-bounces@<server>.<domain>. If I look under /home/qmail/mailnames/butter.com I can see a .qmail-milk-bounces. If I cat this file I see:
|/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper /var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces milk

What does this mean? And how should I configure mailman to send the bounces to the different list owners instead of to some global mailman-bounces that doesn't exist?

Am I the only one having this problem? Today when I opened my mailbox I hade ~150 bounces (since postmaster goes to my account). Of course I can filter them out, but the best solution would be if the real listowners got the notifications of which addresses that bounces.

Nope, we have also been having this same issue and are currently searching for a solution. Did you ever fix this?

No, never did. Mailman isn't designed for virtual hosts so they can't help. SW-soft don't have any solution either. I ended up with create the alias and redirect it to /dev/null since I don't want the bounces.

Maybe mailman will have support for vhosts in the future.

Back