• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mailman does not automatically start after reboot (and is not manegeable...)

Sergio Manzi

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I have a problem with my Plesk (VPS under D.O., CentOS Linux 7.4.1708, Plesk Onyx 17.5.3#39):

After reboot the service for "GNU Mailman" (handling the mailing lists) does not start automatically and I have to login through ssh and start it manually (systemctl start mailman).

Unhappily mailman is not listed in the services handled by "Tools & Settings -> Services Management" (this is really unfortunate...) nor it is checked by "Whatchdog" (even more unfortunate...).

Can someone please give me an hand trying to solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

P.S.: Plesk still comes with Mailman 2.1 after almost 3 years that Mailman 3.0 has been released.
I understand that initially there could have been issues due to the fact that Mailman 3 is written in Python (2 was Perl if I'm not mistaken...), but now that Python is officially supported in Plesk, wouldn't it be the case to upgrade it?

After reboot the service for "GNU Mailman" (handling the mailing lists) does not start automatically and I have to login through ssh and start it manually (systemctl start mailman).
I think that you need to run

# systemctl enable mailman

P.S.: Plesk still comes with Mailman 2.1 after almost 3 years that Mailman 3.0 has been released.
I understand that initially there could have been issues due to the fact that Mailman 3 is written in Python (2 was Perl if I'm not mistaken...), but now that Python is officially supported in Plesk, wouldn't it be the case to upgrade it?

Actually, Plesk doesn't ship Mailman, it only downloads it from original OS vendor repo and it is quite likely it may be outdated there (especially for older OS). If your OS comes with Mailman 3, then Plesk would run Mailman 3 for clients:

[root@ppu17-5 ~]# rpm -qi mailman | grep Packager
Packager : CentOS BuildSystem <My View - CentOS Bug Tracker>
[root@ppu17-5 ~]# rpm -qi mailman | grep Version
Version : 2.1.15

@IgorG Thank-you for replying!

I think that you need to run

# systemctl enable mailman

I'll give this a try and reboot as soon as practically possible and let you know...

Actually, Plesk doesn't ship Mailman, it only downloads it from original OS vendor repo and it is quite likely it may be outdated there (especially for older OS). If your OS comes with Mailman 3, then Plesk would run Mailman 3 for clients:

Understood. I'm on CentOS 7.4 (so not that old...) fully patched with latest updates, but OK, it's not Plesk fault if it still comes with mailman 2...

Do you think it will possible for me to install mailman 3 from another repo and have it working with Plesk 12.5 (or 12.8 as soon as it is released)? Will I get into troubles in case of a "plesk repair installation"?

Cheers,

Sergio

Back