1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Mailman oblivious to incoming mail

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by MacRonin, Apr 2, 2006.

1. MacRonin

MacRonin Guest

I had thought that I wouldn't be using mailman, but it seems that a client wants the mailing lists. The problem seems to be that Mailman is ignoring all incoming mail.

If I add users via the web interface, it does add them and does send out the welcome msgs. If I send mail to a normal e-mail user, they get it. But msgs sent to the list, just disapear. They don't go out to any members. and if I look at the archive page for the list, it says that there have been no msgs. Also if I send msgs to the admin, there is also no response.

According to /var/log/messages a cron job for mailman is being run

Anyone have any clues as to what might be happening to the msgs being sent to the list?

BTW I am running Plesk 7.5.4 on FC3

Thanks, Paul

2. MacRonin

MacRonin Guest

a copy of my post to another thread where it sounds like another user is having a similar problem.

1-My maiman user doesn't have of its own cron jobs, but according to the log files, cron jobs under the mailman userID(auth) are being run every 5 minutes. They must enclosed in a general script being kicked off as needed.

2- /var/lib/mailman files

drwxrwsr-x 4 root mailman 4096 Mar 21 2005 archives
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Dec 24 03:10 data
    drwxrwsr-x 4 root mailman 4096 Mar 22 01:16 lists
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Mar 21 2005 spam

March 21 is when I tried to create my first mailinglist.

3-
    And I don't have the /var/lib/mailman/ logs/smtp you mention in your msg. mine is at /var/log/mailman/smtp

and its msg contents seem OK
    Apr 02 23:21:14 2006 (26650) <mailman.0.1144034473.15029.listname@mysite.net> smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.089 seconds

And a few other log files but none of the contents jumps out at me. Primarily msgs about starting and stopping tasks.

ls -al /var/log/mailman

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 0 Apr 2 04:03 error
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 3448 Apr 2 23:40 qrunner
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 136 Apr 2 23:21 smtp
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 82 Apr 2 23:21 subscribe

There were also older archive versions that I removed from the list

3b- I'm running python 234 and my Mailman will start (it does signup msgs) so this doesn't sound like one for me.

My version of mailman is 2.1.5-32.fc3

3. MacRonin

MacRonin Guest

Since I hate to leave a question unanswered, I thought I'd pass along the final answer to my problem. It was a rather obscure quirk, but should be easy to check if you know about it.

More details can be found at: http://faq.swsoft.com/article_61_942_en.html

but here is an intro.

Mailman can't send messages to subscribers with error: "Failure_to_exec_mailman_wrapper. WANTED_gid_110,_GOT_gid_101. (Reconfigure_to_take_101?)/did_0+0+1/"

Product versions this article applies to:
    Plesk for UNIX (questions are not related to version) The latest update: Jan,23 2006

1. Make sure that GID of user 'popuser' equals to 110 in /etc/passwd
    and /etc/group. If it doesn't, change it to 110. The lines in the files
    must be:

/etc/passwd:
    popuser:x:110:110:pOP3 service user:/:/bin/false

/etc/group:
    popuser:x:110:

My mailman setup is now happily forwarding the incoming messages. I hope this helps someone.

4. jonworth

jonworth Guest

But where does this error appear?

I'm still tearing my hair out about these mailman problems!!!

Where does the problem:
    Code:
    Failure_to_exec_mailman_wrapper. WANTED_gid_110,_GOT_gid_101
    actually appear?

I am getting no errors in /var/lib/mailman/log/error

Also my popuser ids are both 110 already. Ideas?