• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mailman oblivious to incoming mail

M

MacRonin

I had thought that I wouldn't be using mailman, but it seems that a client wants the mailing lists. The problem seems to be that Mailman is ignoring all incoming mail.

If I add users via the web interface, it does add them and does send out the welcome msgs. If I send mail to a normal e-mail user, they get it. But msgs sent to the list, just disapear. They don't go out to any members. and if I look at the archive page for the list, it says that there have been no msgs. Also if I send msgs to the admin, there is also no response.

According to /var/log/messages a cron job for mailman is being run

Anyone have any clues as to what might be happening to the msgs being sent to the list?

BTW I am running Plesk 7.5.4 on FC3

Thanks, Paul

a copy of my post to another thread where it sounds like another user is having a similar problem.

Originally posted by jonworth
Hi MacCronin,

It seems one hell of a package to install does Mailman! Anyway, let's see what we can manage via a cooperative effort!

(1) What cron jobs are being run for your mailman installation? I presently have no cronjobs running. Can you maybe post the list of the cron jobs here?

(2) What are the file ownerships / groups of your /var/lib/mailman files?

(3) Do you get any error logs anywhere? Or do your messages just seem to disappear?

I have essentially been using the same fix as TZ23 proposed in this thread:
http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?threadid=18130
While that makes Mailman run, it will not deliver messages - presumably because of some cron job problems.

1-My maiman user doesn't have of its own cron jobs, but according to the log files, cron jobs under the mailman userID(auth) are being run every 5 minutes. They must enclosed in a general script being kicked off as needed.

2- /var/lib/mailman files

drwxrwsr-x 4 root mailman 4096 Mar 21 2005 archives
drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Dec 24 03:10 data
drwxrwsr-x 4 root mailman 4096 Mar 22 01:16 lists
drwxrwsr-x 2 root mailman 4096 Mar 21 2005 spam

March 21 is when I tried to create my first mailinglist.

3-
And I don't have the /var/lib/mailman/ logs/smtp you mention in your msg. mine is at /var/log/mailman/smtp

and its msg contents seem OK
Apr 02 23:21:14 2006 (26650) <[email protected]> smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.089 seconds

And a few other log files but none of the contents jumps out at me. Primarily msgs about starting and stopping tasks.

ls -al /var/log/mailman

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 0 Apr 2 04:03 error
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 3448 Apr 2 23:40 qrunner
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mailman mailman 136 Apr 2 23:21 smtp
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root mailman 82 Apr 2 23:21 subscribe

There were also older archive versions that I removed from the list

3b- I'm running python 234 and my Mailman will start (it does signup msgs) so this doesn't sound like one for me.

My version of mailman is 2.1.5-32.fc3

Since I hate to leave a question unanswered, I thought I'd pass along the final answer to my problem. It was a rather obscure quirk, but should be easy to check if you know about it.

More details can be found at: http://faq.swsoft.com/article_61_942_en.html

but here is an intro.

Mailman can't send messages to subscribers with error: "Failure_to_exec_mailman_wrapper. WANTED_gid_110,_GOT_gid_101. (Reconfigure_to_take_101?)/did_0+0+1/"

Product versions this article applies to:
Plesk for UNIX (questions are not related to version) The latest update: Jan,23 2006

1. Make sure that GID of user 'popuser' equals to 110 in /etc/passwd
and /etc/group. If it doesn't, change it to 110. The lines in the files
must be:

/etc/passwd:
popuser:x:110:110:pOP3 service user:/:/bin/false

/etc/group:
popuser:x:110:

My mailman setup is now happily forwarding the incoming messages. I hope this helps someone.

But where does this error appear?

I'm still tearing my hair out about these mailman problems!!!

Where does the problem:
Code:
Failure_to_exec_mailman_wrapper. WANTED_gid_110,_GOT_gid_101
actually appear?

I am getting no errors in /var/lib/mailman/log/error

Also my popuser ids are both 110 already. Ideas?

Back