• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mailserver very slow delivering mails

HigH_HawK

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a strange problem with my mail server. At first I had only my domain on it where I already noticed that when you send an email from a different hoster (Gmail, Outlook.com or any website you forgot your password) to your own mail address, it takes quite long (up to an hour) until it is being delivered to the recipient but never bothered checking it as I could live with the issue.

I am now however hosting a website for a community who are now using the mail server as well and they noticed it as well and asked me, if I could do anything to make it faster.

What am I using?

‪Debian (7.11‬)
Plesk Onyx (17.0.17 Update #16)
psa-qmail (3:1.03-debian7.0.build1700161026.19)
dovecot (2.2.26.0-debian7.0.16120817)
dovecot-pigeonhole (0.4.16-debian7.0.16112222)

I already used google as well as the FAQ from Plesk, to find a solution for this problem but was unsuccessful.

These are my current settings unter Home -> Tools&Settings -> Server-Wide Mail Settings (which should look fine)

General Options:
gen_opt.PNG

Relay and Limitation Options:
relay_switch_opt.PNG

AV & Spam Options:
av_spam_opt.PNG

Could it be, that I have some error in my settings, which might make it slow to receive an email? Compared to hosters like GMail, Outlook.com, etc. they are much faster.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
HigH_HawK

Last edited:
Hi guys,

thanks for your reply! The option "Switch on server-wide greylisting spam protection" was indeed ticked, which I unticked and saved the setting. It is working a little faster now but it seems that most spam mails are coming through to my inbox as well instead of my junk mail folder. It seems that since I unticked the greylisting option, the spam protection doesn't seem to work as accurate anymore.

I presume there is no choice, either I got a good spam protection and accept the time of receiving emails, or I get them mails fairly quickly but don't have a good spam protection, or is there any choice in between?

Hi @Janko1000,

Spamassassin installed? Spamassassin needs >100 Spam Emails to learn and to works properly.

It's available as a default component in Multi Server. I can't say definitely will it be installed on a remote centralized mail server or not.
But I've got your point:)

Hi,

i am facing slowness in my postfix mail server. But slowness is intermediate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karthik.N

The original thread was created in 2017, probably it would be better to create

Could you provide more details on how do you measure slowness of the mail server? What "intermediate" means in this case, any numbers?

Do you have mail service logs which could show on what steps mails are delayed? Or, as alternative or additional information, could you please show headers from the one of emails (e.g. it could be just simple test email), it also could us help to figure out where the email was delayed during delivery.

The original thread was created in 2017, probably it would be better to create

Could you provide more details on how do you measure slowness of the mail server? What "intermediate" means in this case, any numbers?

Do you have mail service logs which could show on what steps mails are delayed? Or, as alternative or additional information, could you please show headers from the one of emails (e.g. it could be just simple test email), it also could us help to figure out where the email was delayed during delivery.
Good day,

Please how can I adjust the email delivery time/email queue
For example, when i send out an email from my server I want it to take 2-3 minutes before it can be delivered instead of instant delivery

I want it to be delayed before it can be delivered.

@fec19777 , since you have a different question, I would like to recommend also to create a different thread on the forum instead of posting to the really old thread (2017 year) about the Onyx version that is not even supported now.

Back