• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Make SPF check ignore SPF type DNS records

TobiasP

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 9.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.43 Update #1
I currently face the issue that an external sender is sending mails to me and has an SPF record configured as a TXT (as it should be) but also an SPF Type DNS Record which does not designate the same servers as the TXT recrord.
It seems that the SPF check mechanism plesk uses gives higher priority to an SPF type record and therefore the SPF checks for mails from this domain fails.

is there a way to disable/ignore the SPF Type DNS record lookup for a sender domain?

hello @TobiasP,

there's no ability in Plesk to ignore SPF record type in case TXT exists.
moreover, at RFC4408 you can find that
If any records of type SPF are in the set, then all records of type TXT are discarded.

so, this is correct behavior.

IMHO, such sender should update all their DNS records accordingly.

yes I know - but what if the admins of this domain don't understand what the issue is and won't remove the SPF record... I'm the one getting the blame since they say "everybody else is receiving our emails" (probably because other recipients don't check the SPF so strict or the SPF type record not at all)
so maybe there is a way to allowlist the domain so no spf checks are performed on my side?

Back