• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Making mail look like it comes from the domains, not the hostname

DRY411S

Basic Pleskian
What do I need to do to make sure that emails from each domain have been sent from mail.domain.com rather than the hostname.servername.com?

Email that the server is sending on behalf of [email protected] is being sent from hostname.servername.com and is being rejected because the receiving MTAs have no DNS for hostname.servername.com.

I'm using postfix.

Last edited:
Anybody please?

Is it normal for a mail server to refuse to accept the email because the server hostname (being used by PLESK) has no DNS entry?

In any case, I would rather that each domain that is sending email is doing this through its own IP address, and the mail appears to be coming from mail.<theirdomain>.com

Is this possible?

Thank you. It does help to confirm that others have the same issue. :)

I'll see which of the suggested options works for me.

Hi,

well I do think it's normal.
But where is the problem of either changing the hostname.servername.com into something use full and setting up an A-Record?
Or just setup an A-Record for the already given hostname.servername.com?

Regards,
Kristian

The problem is that I want mail to look as though it is coming from the domain (and that domains IP) rather than from the server and the server IP. I don't want all domains to be blacklisted just because one domain starts spamming/gets exploited.

In fact you can close this topic. What I need is being discussed in another topic here. This one

Hi,

that would mean you need an IP for each Domain.
In times where IPv4 is valuable, this is a waste of resources.

With the upcoming Plesk 12 you will be able to rate limit outbound emails.
This should help prevent your server being blacklisted.

Regards,
Kristian

Hi,

that would mean you need an IP for each Domain.
In times where IPv4 is valuable, this is a waste of resources.
Regards,
Kristian

Yes I agree that it would. But I would rather that a spamming blacklist problem is limited to IPs allocated to Reseller and/or Customers for example than server wide for all domains.

Hi,

in that case I would just configure 2 IPs on the server and configure only one as MX.
If one IP ever gets blacklisted, just switch IPs and update your DNS MX Records.

Saves IPs and hassle.

But you already seem to have a solution, so good luck ;)

Regards,
Kristian

Back