1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Managing ports

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by thedust2010, Mar 8, 2006.

1. thedust2010

thedust2010 Guest

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading of these forums over the past few months with reccomendations on shutting down certain ports. However, I am completely ignorant on how to manage what ports are being used on my machine. There obviously isn't anything in Plesk that does this. I've tried editing /etc/services, but that doesn't seem to do much. Am I on the right track here? Might someone be able to direct me in the right direction for a newbie like myself in regards to managing your ports?

2. phoenixisp

phoenixisp Silver Pleskian

57%
    The way to manage access to your server is through the use of a firewall. I am not a big fan of the Plesk Firewall module, so I would recommend you take a look at the KISS firewall. It has the ports needed to run Plesk open except for port 5224 which Plesk uses to verify/update your license key. Check out KISS and some instruction here:

http://www.webhostgear.com/87.html