• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Manual DNS update

gentle9

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am trying to update a dns (A-Host) entry manually.
This is my script.
Code:
/usr/bin/mysql "myupdatequery"
/opt/psa/admin/bin/dnsmng --update domain.com.

I can see in the plesk panel that the DB was updated correctly.
But it seems that the dns update is not working correctly, if I ping the host I still get the old IP.

I was trying to change the SOA values because I have a secondary DNS server and here I recognized
that after saving the SOA values the IP is updated. It doesn´t matter what values I enter it gets updated
after pressing the save button. If I ping the host after pressing save I get the new IP.
So it seems that after pressing save something is update which is not updated when I try to enter the DNS
entry manually.

Can anyone help me?

The IP address returned to "ping" is most likely cached by your local router or ISP.

Use the "host" command (if you have access to Mac/Linux) to query the server directly to see what IP address it is returning, eg:

"ping yoursite.com" may return the old ip address
"host yoursite.com" may return the old ip address
"host yoursite.com yourserveraddress.com" will ask yourserveraddress.com directly for the ip address, and you will hopefully get the new updated address
"host yoursite.com 8.8.8.8" will query googles public dns server for the ip address of yoursite.com

If you don't have access to the command line "host" app then try this website to check IP addresses: http://www.whatsmydns.net/

Back