• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved MariaDB 10.11 upgrade failure

Ayki

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 9.3
Plesk version and microupdate number
Dear Plesk Community
I am running on
Product: Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.60, last updated on April 9, 2024 05:41 PM
Currently on MariaDb 10.5.22

I am looking to upgarde to MAriaDB latest version

But unfortinaelty getting the error below: IS there are work around this issue?

1713264060305.png

Thank you both
Did anyone successfully upgraded MariaDB this way?
My concern is that MariaDB needs an upgrade in stages if one is coming from lower versions. Not always possible to do a direct upgrade.
In this case
10 5 --> 10.6 -->11

Previously, I did this manually upgrading from 5.5 -> 10.3
some of the table structures needed an update manually required further intervention.

Any help and guidance hugely appreciated.
As you know once you commit there is no undo if things not work out

Many thanks in advance

Thanks Danami
What I undersatnd from the artickle yes it is uspported.
1713346378979.png
However, I think the main message here is " upgrade it at your own risk".

Like I mentioned in my previous post it would be nice to hear if anyone else used this upgrade feautre.

My concern is that MariaDB needs an upgrade in stages if one is coming from lower versions. Not always possible to do a direct upgrade.
In this case
10 5 --> 10.6 -->11

Previously, I did this manually upgrading from 5.5 -> 10.3
some of the table structures needed an update manually required further intervention.
Upgrading from MariaDB 5.5 with the upgrade feature requires an upgrade MariaDB 10.5 first before being able to upgrade to any newer TLS version. If you are already running MariaDB 10.5, you can upgrade to any news TLS version directly. Which includes version 10.11 (not 11.x). (As explained in the documentation).

However, I think the main message here is " upgrade it at your own risk".
Upgrading always comes with some risks. If you have no specific need to upgrade, then you don't have to off course. The differences between MariaDB 10.5 and MariaDB 10.11 are small anyway.

Like I mentioned in my previous post it would be nice to hear if anyone else used this upgrade feautre.
I have successfully used the upgrade feature on various servers. I haven't had any major issues.

Thanks Kaspar

The MariaDB upgrade is essential due to applications running on plesk not being support by the never version of PHP 8.2 for security.
Therefore requires at least MariaDB 10.6 but why not upgrade to the latest.

The risk can be lowered if one can have a reliable back up. This is an area I am working to improve at the moment before making changes.

I will give it a go as you guy suggested by uncomment ing and see which version of MariaDB the system comes up with. Thanks for correcting my typo - yes MariaDB 10.11

And keep fingers crossed

You can update to MariaDB 10.11.7 on AlmaLinux 9.3 (Shamrock Pampas Cat).
Just disable (/delete) the Plesk database rules in the php.ini and use "sudo dnf update -y"

1. open the file /etc/yum.repos.d/almalinux-appstream.repo
2. comment out any line that start with

3. save
4. restart the upgrade
Just followed your advice and had a trouble free Maria DB upgared to 10.11. What is more Plesk with apply future updates ( What a releif :) )
If anyone is interested
The Steps are in my case involved:
1- uncommenting exclude
1713453084713.png
2-Selcting the version to upgrade
1713453157500.png
3-Accepting the a few thngs
1713453194987.png
4 Lets Plesk do its magic
1713453231768.png
Link to the article

Thank you All

After the upgrade I have 2 minor issues
Issue 1 - I lost import /export dump functions from Plesk mariaDB database menu
1713473000511.png

Issue 2 - on mariaDB systemctl status I get errors. I am not sure if this is related a table structure but it is as below
1713472943775.png

Ok here is the issue 1 sorted as well.
It is something to do with the DB user not having enough privileges to the database. Once a new user with the right level of access at local host added the import/export dump restored.
1713481684398.png

Issue 2 - on mariaDB systemctl status I get errors. I am not sure if this is related a table structure but it is as below
View attachment 25949

Probably the mysql_upgrade was not run. In this case it could help to run
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql_upgrade -uadmin
on the command line so that MariaDB updates all table definitions to the new MariaDB version requirements.

Probably the mysql_upgrade was not run. In this case it could help to run
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql_upgrade -uadmin
on the command line so that MariaDB updates all table definitions to the new MariaDB version requirements.
Thanks
I think all is good now. MariaDb status showing only notes 1713511691939.png
1713511602363.png

Back