• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Migration Tool - Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost'

ScottGoddard

Basic Pleskian
When using the Migration & Transfer Manager to transfer a Subscription, it is failing to transfer the database due to access being denied to the admin account. The error details are listed below (I am pretty certain the first 2 are not relevant but I have included them for completeness).

I have searched for similar issues and tried the solution listed here: Resolved - Database migration fails: Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' but despite seeming very promising, it did not resolve the issue.

I am able to log into the source DB server using mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` from SSH so the admin password and psa.shadow file seem to be working OK. The migration is also being done through the root user.

I have also checked the firewall and host restrictions just in case, but they all seem OK too.

I don't really know what else to try and I have many more subscriptions to transfer, so I would very much appreciate and assistance.

Further details

Issues with Subscription Migration:
Plesk restore report problem:
The component Mailman is not installed. It will be unavailable for the following objects: xxxxxx.co.uk

Plesk restore report problem:
The PHP handler 5.6 FPM application served by nginx (id=plesk-php56-fpm) is not available. Instead, Plesk will use 7.3.11 FPM application served by Apache (id=plesk-php73-fpm) for the following websites: xxxxxx.co.uk

Failed to copy content of database 'xxxxxx'
Migration tools tried to perform operation in 3 attempts: Command execution failed on the source server 'source' (xxx.xxx.xxx.84) with non-zero exit code.
command: MYSQL_PWD="$(cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow)" mysqldump --no-defaults -h localhost -P 3306 -uadmin --quick --quote-names --add-drop-table --default-character-set=utf8 --set-charset --routines --events xxxxxx> /root/plesk_migrator/plesk_migrator-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/db-dumps/xxxxxx.sql
exit code: 2
stdout:
stderr: mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES) when trying to connect​

Source Server Details:
Product: Plesk Obsidian
Version: 18.0.20 Update #1, last updated on Oct 31, 2019 03:38 AM
DB Server Version: 5.7.28-log - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
Destination Server Details:
Product: Plesk Obsidian
Version: 18.0.20 Update #1, last updated on Oct 31, 2019 05:05 PM
DB Server Version: 5.5.64-MariaDB - MariaDB Server​

If I understand correctly, all other clients / users / databases from this server can be migrated without an issue? I'd finish migrating everybody else than return to this site.

And since you're in the hurry, I'd suggest trying a somewhat dirty workaround for it:

- make a backup of the web site in question, both through Plesk and manually, verify the backup
- note the database user name and its password (it will be somewhere in the code of the site)
- you'll have the database dump made in step one, so delete the database and the database user
- recreate the database and the database user with the same password
- import database contents from the backup.

At this point, the migration for this site should work...

Thanks for your help Ales. Unfortunately, this problem occurs on all subscriptions which have DB's - which is most of them. I am fine with transferring the DB's and user accounts manually, but I would prefer to get this issue resolved, if possible.

What is version of your Plesk Migrator? Similar issue:

#PMT-3778 "MySQL databases could not be migrated if a database’s admin password did not match the password stored in the PSA database." was fixed in:

Plesk Migrator 2.9.2 07 June 2017 (Linux)

Hi Igor

Thanks for your help. The server is brand new and all updates have been installed.

Plesk Migrator is version 2.17.8-879

I have tried uninstalling Plesk Migrator and installing it again, with no change.

Back