• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

max_allowed_packet error

D

DoobyWho

Okay - I am shooting in the dark here. I have a PHP script that uploads files. Whenever uploading files larger than 16M I get a message about "Got packet larger then 'max_allowed_packet'". Now, at first I was having a problem with getting my setting for max_allowed_packet to show up, then i read that mysql 3.2 only allows up to 16M for that value. I read around and found that Plesk 7.5 supports MySQL 4. So I found instructions on how to upgrade to mysql 4 and did so via www.atomicrocketturtle.com and the these great forums. I added the ART channels to my config and used "up2date mysql" to update mysql. Now i've checked and sure enough it's updated to mysql4 so it now shows that max_allowed_packet is set to 1GB. Still doesnt work with files larger than 16M! So I've changed every relative value in the php.ini file as well as putting a .htaccess file with LimitRequestBody set really high. Still doesn't work! I've looked all around and the only thing I can find that might explain what is going on is the fact that my php is still linking to the mysql3 library. According to what I have read, there is a problem with sending packets over 16M between PHP and the MySQL 3x library. It is suggested that I rebuild PHP with the library for my mysql4 installation. I've looked all around and cannot find good, detailed instructions on how to do this and I am afraid that if I do this I am going to break something w/ Plesk or something else on the server. I also don't want to do this and it not fix the problem. Do you have any other ideas or instructions on how to do this? Thanks!

P.S - I am uploading to a MySQL database and not straight to a file.

did you update php as well from A.R.T. when you upgraded mysql? It might be a good idea.....

Hey Poke, I have updated my test server with ART's latest php and mysql stuff, and also am still showing the mysql Client API as 3.23 (phpinfo) (I used yum, Doobywho used up2date with ARTs channels)

What Doobywho and I need are the detailed instructions on how to rebuild or recompile ARTs php to include the updated mysql4 libs including the client api.

I can't find the same version of the source RPM on his site as the version that yum is installing, and I also can't find the mysql-client module for the version neither. I've posted on his forum and am hoping he'll see it sooon!

If anyone else knows, please chime in! Thanks.

Back