• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Maximum number of files that can be stored for full backups is ignored

TomE

Basic Pleskian
Hello everyone,

I have in Backup Manager both for special domains and globally scheduled backups. At Maximum number of files that can be saved for full backups I have entered 3 for each. Like in this example: How to limit the number of server-wide backups stored in Plesk

Unfortunately the old backups are not deleted automatically, so it ignores my 3

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much and greetings, Tom

The number applies to the rotation range. For example, if you set weekly backups with increments, "3" means that three full backups will be done plus the increments until the next week. So you'll end up with approx. 21 backups total.

Could you maybe provide a screenshot here what exactly your settings are and a screenshot of the resulting backup overview list?

Hi Peter,

thanks for your support!

If I understand this correctly it is not possible to create a complete backup every day and have the old ones deleted automatically. I only want to have the last 3 full backups of the last 3 days.

In the appendix the screenshot of my settings. I deleted the backups today because the space on the FTP server was full. Therefore the overview list is missing. But i had the last 7 complete backups in the overview list.

Thank you and greetings, Tom

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 10
The set-up is correct as shown. Could we please also see the list of backups that results from this setup?

Here is the screen of the backup list of a domain but I have already deleted the ones from 01 November and 31, 30 and 29 October because the FTP server space was full.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 4
It should all work correctly with your settings. Let's wait until the problem occurs, then continue either here or with a bug report.

Good morning,

i have now let it run but unfortunately it does not delete the old backups automatically.

what am i doing wrong?

Thanks a lot and greetings, Tom

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 6
  • screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 7
It's probably a bug, similar to this one:
However, that one was fixed, so it's something else.

You can try to analyze the logs in /var/log/plesk/PMM for the latest backup job if you find something unusual in there, like a "DELE" command that could not be executed. Or you can open a ticket with Plesk support to get this sorted out. In case that you do not have licence from Plesk but from a reseller:

Hi, Peter,

thank you for your support.

In the logfile I find no error only info entries. "Dele" also only appears here

[2020-11-05 04:16:44.307| 5593] INFO: pmm-ras started : /opt/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --delete-dump --session-path=/opt/psa/PMM/sessions/2020-11-05-040003.754 --dump-specification=backup_info_2011050400.xml

[2020-11-05 04:16:44.326| 5593] INFO: Repository '/var/lib/psa/dumps': Delete backup backup_info_2011050400.xml

and these entries refer, in my opinion, to temporary files of the current backup.

Ok I open a ticket with Plesk support.

Thank you very much and greetings, Tom

Back