• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migrate to new server with existing domains

itbul

New Pleskian
I have a bit of a special setup - currently I have 2 servers running plesk. One is managed by my ISP, the other is a VPS with Plesk Web Pro Edition.

Now I want to move everything to the VPS, to only have one plesk instance.

I know about plesks migration tools, and the ability to restore backups etc. But I have a bit of a special setup, as there are domains that exist on both servers.
For example i have domain.com on ServerA with email and hosting enabled. ServerB also has this domain setup (no hosting and mail) and, but hosts services for a subdomain like xyz.domain.com.
What is the best way to transfer domain.com with email and hosting from ServerA to ServerB without loosing the subdomain xyz.domain.com and it´s content?

Would be great, if somebody has done this before and can share some thoughts..

Thanks
Bastian

I don't have the answer but an additional question :)

I also have 2 vps machines and i want to migrate from 1 to the other. If I use this migration tool, will sites stay online on the original vps during migration?

As long as you dont change DNS settings for the domains then the sites on the source will remain in play.

Yeah, that should work - but to be honest, I was hoping for a simple export-import solution ;-) But Restoring a backup will most likely delete my subdomains, and the migration tool will not work as I have no root access to the source server.

Thanks
Bastian

I installed Ubuntu 20.04 from my strato controle panel and set it up. When I wanted to migrate a website from my other vps with centos 8, also at strato, I received the message that my Ubuntu 18.04 on the source server is higher then the destination server and migration is not possible.

Why is that as neither is running 18.04. I am now installing centos 8 on the destination server as last time I tried migration with centos 8 I had no issue but it just does not seem right.

Back