• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Migrated website to Plesk, now need mail functionality (sendmail?) to work!

jva

New Pleskian
Hi guys,

I'm running a Plesk 12.5 server for Linux. It's pretty much default from the combined Linux + Plesk installation.

Right now we've migrated a PHP based website from a dedicated Linux server to Plesk. All is working fine except for email functionality. This will be the first site hosted which actually has email functionality on our Plesk server!

The website is based on PHP and the person who made it tells me this uses sendmail by default.

What steps do I need to take for this domain to be able to send out emails?

I already tried adding our internal mailserver as a relay server within /etc/postfix/main.cf but this did nothing and I'm also unsure if this is the way to go. I do think that somewhere I need to set our actual (Exchange) mailserver as a relay.

Hopefully someone can send me into the right direction. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

It is not possible to use sendmail by calling it directly through the sendmail path and file name, because the user is jailed into his own web space. Instead, the user must either send Mail through SMTP or by PHP mail() function.

A common error relates to contact forms and other emails from websites. If the website is hosted on the server but the email for the domain is hosted elsewhere, you need to disable the mail service for the domain. Otherwise any emails to addresses on that domain will just be delivered locally, not to the real mailbox.

There are loads of reasons emails might not get sent. Assuming there are no errors on the website you'll need to check the maillog to see what happened. Usually just /var/log/maillog.

Back