• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Migrating from Apache to nginx on a running vserver, possible?

Lendh

New Pleskian
Hey together,
i have 3 domains/websites, one is a Wordpress website with a msql-database installed on a
vserver with Ubuntu 16.04, Plesk 17 Onyx, Apache, php7-fpm, Postfix.
Is it a big job to migrate to nginx (only) on a running system (with a backup ;) )?
If yes, is there an easy to understand manual/workaround ?
Or should i better do a reinstall of the server until nginx is running and then migrate the domains and websites. emails?
warmest greetings from a hobby-webmaster in Berlin
Lendh

Or should i better do a reinstall of the server until nginx is running and then migrate the domains and websites. emails?
I suppose that it would be better solution.
Also you can use Nginx-only website hosting feature on Onyx (install nginx component, enable it, check that your sites works fine and after that switch proxy mode. More details can be found here), but note, that Apache will not be completely disabled, stopped, etc. Webmail will work on Apache anyway, for example.

Last edited:
Also you can use Nginx-only website hosting feature on Onyx
Thanks a lot, i followed your suggestion to enable nginx (only) without a reinstall and everything is working fine, but, - in short -, why would a reinstall be better? Are there now some misconfigurations leaving? Would it cause a better performance? I wrote, there is a solution for nginx for webmail, but beloved Plesk without Apache is not possible at the current moment, am i right?

Last edited:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant install new Plesk server with nginx as webserver and based on new hardware, for example, and then migrate from your old server to this new.
Yes, you are correct, it is impossible now to disable Apache completely.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant install new Plesk server with nginx as webserver and based on new hardware, for example, and then migrate from your old server to this new.
Yes, you are correct, it is impossible now to disable Apache completely.
Thanks again! So let's give the Apache our respect, he has done a great work for years.

Back