• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question "Your server is neither Nginx nor Apache"

WhiteTiger

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
I have a VPS with these features:
  • Plesk Obsidian: Version 18.0.50 Update #2, last updated on Feb 16, 2023 06:25 PM
  • Domain PHP PHP version 8.1.18, run PHP as Dedicated FPM application served by nginx
  • The "Common Apache settings" are all Default
  • At the moment the "Additional nginx directives" are still these:
if (!-e $request_filename) { rewrite ^.*$ /index.php last; } #include "/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN/httpdocs/nginx.conf";
  • Joomla! Version 4.3.0 Stable
  • In Joomla at the moment there is no .htaccess yet, but only the default file (htaccess.txt)
In Joomla there is the extension "Admin Tools", by Akeeba, as Web Application Firewall.
Admin Tools has a facility to generate an .htaccess or configuration file for Nginx depending on the required levels of protection.
I asked Akeeba technical support for advice on how to proceed given my configuration of Nginx as Apache Reverse Proxy.
The answer was "create .htaccess because Admin Tools work badly with Reverse Proxies".
So I would like to create .htaccess, convert its directives for Nginx with the Plesk converter and then insert them in the "Additional nginx directives" field.
The problem is, however, that Admin Tools is recognizing as active Nginx and not Apache. So I have the button to generate the file for Nginx and not for Apache.
I report this difficulty to tech support and their next response is that it shouldn't be the correct configuration if Apache is doing the job and Nginx is the Reverse Proxy. Their opinion is that Admin Tools should see Apache as active and not Nginx.

At this point I wonder if there is some other configuration to do because in Plesk I should have kept the default configuration.

If I understand your issue correctly it's that Admin Tools Joomla extension does work well when using Nginx as a reverse proxy. So my initial suggestion would be to turn off Proxy mode (in Plesk go to example.com > click the Hosting & DNS tab > Apache & nginx Settings). That way only Nginx gets used and your are maybe able to generate directives for Nginx.

Another option would be to (temporary) stop Nginx (in Plesk go to Tool & settings > Services Management and stop the Reverse Proxy Server (nginx) service). This stops Nginx being used on the server all together. Then you can hopefully create the .htaccess and convert them to Nginx directives.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If I understand your issue correctly it's that Admin Tools Joomla extension does work well when using Nginx as a reverse proxy. So my initial suggestion would be to turn off Proxy mode (in Plesk go to example.com > click the Hosting & DNS tab > Apache & nginx Settings. That way only Nginx gets used and your are maybe able to generate directives for Nginx.

Another option would be to (temporary) stop Nginx (in Plesk go to Tool & settings > Services Management and stop the Reverse Proxy Server (nginx) service). This stops Nginx being used on the server all together. Then you can hopefully create the .htaccess and convert them to Nginx directives.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I was also thinking of using the second of yours.
But the question is whether there could be configuration errors.
In fact, thinking about it, the Reverse Proxy should have an impact on traffic coming from outside, but the application (Joomla in this case) should interact directly with Apache.
Instead, even in the Joomla configuration data, Nginx is reported as a webserver.

Admin tool works well with both Apache and Nginx.
In my case, according to Akeeba tech support, Admin Tools should detect Apache and not Nginx.

Back