• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration and wordpress

smithxx

New Pleskian
I migrated a bunch of Wordpress web sites from an old server. If I create a new wordpress site I can mange the plugins from the panel and set them to automatically update. For the sites I migrated I cannot manage the plugins and I cannot set them to automatically update. There are also some other differences when you look at the wordpress settings. How can I fix the migrated sites short of deleting them and reinstalling?

@smithxx,

In response to your question, I first want to highlight to some remarks, in order to comment on that.

If I create a new wordpress site I can mange the plugins from the panel and set them to automatically update.

This is a "standard" option in Plesk Panel. That is, if the application is installed with the Application Catalog.

Any WordPress (afterwards: WP) installation can just be migrated by copying all relevant WP files and directories, including plugin and theme directories.

These ("copied") WP installations are not "discovered" by Plesk Panel, but they are still working properly.

Note that is not adviceable to enable the automatic update option, if your WP installations are simply copied (i.e. migrated) and not "discovered" by Plesk.

For the sites I migrated I cannot manage the plugins and I cannot set them to automatically update.

There is the WordPress Toolkit (afterwards: WPT) that can be issued the command to scan for WP installations, in the end resulting in all WP installations being "discovered".

With the WPT, one has the ability to (amongs others)

- scan for existing WP installations (and "copied" WP installations are also "discovered")
- update the WP installation to a newer version, with the possibility to update individual WP installations or to update all WP installations at once,
- update plugins and/or themes, with the possibility to update plugins/themes individually or to update all plugins/themes at once.

The WPT is included in the Web Pro and Web Host Editions of Plesk and, otherwise, it can be bought separately (note that upgrading the license is a better alternative).

How can I fix the migrated sites short of deleting them and reinstalling?

Yes and no.

The WPT can make your migration process a little bit more easy, but still some issues will remain, solely related to the nature of WordPress itself.

In fact, the database-driven WP installation requires (in principle) the database migration of the old to the new site, with the new site running the same WP version.

Note the "in principle", it is just a form of "good practice", in order to maintain the WP database structure and hence preventing issues when migrating and upgrading afterwards.

Even when using the WPT and/or static migration (i.e. copying of files), it is adviceable to install exactly the same WP version, as present on the old server.

In short, the migration of WP installations is always a little bit cumbersome, i.e. the WP migration process requires full migration of files, directories and databases.

However, deletion and re-installing does not have to be part of the migration process.

In addition to the last statement, it has to be mentioned that a "standard" WP installation by Plesk is to be preferred, for various reasons, amongst others reasons of security.

Also note that a "standard" WP installation by Plesk is associated with correct file/directory permissions and ownership.

Now, to be more concrete, take the following steps to make the migration process as easy as possible:

1) acquire the WPT (if you do not have it, just upgrade the license to a Web Pro Edition),

2) under "Server Management" (home page), click on "WordPress" and, under the tab "WordPress Installations", click on "Scan",

Note: I made the assumption that you migrated all WP sites properly, by migrating files, directories AND databases. Simply "copying" files and directories will lead to the issue that the relevant WP databases will not be "discovered" by the before mentioned scan.

3) update, as you please, the WP installations, plugins or themes,

Note: the scan from step 2 will result in a number of WP installations and indications whether the WP version and/or plugins (use tab "Plugins") and/or themes (use tab "Themes") can be updated, with the possibility to update WP installations, plugins or themes at once.

4) run the "Security Check" under the tab "WordPress installations", in order to have a "standard" WP installation, as would by installed by Plesk, with

- proper file/directory permissions and ownership,
- proper database prefixes,
- some added security measures,

and so on.

Finally, note that any customizations to WP core files can get lost in the 4-step process, described above.

Hence, check for any customizations and re-apply them on the new server, OR apply some "good WP practice" and create child themes or custom themes, with customizations.

Hope the above helps.

If you any questions and/or need some support, just let me know.

Kind regards.....

Back