• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration by FTP only

grazer75

New Pleskian
a friend of mine has an old plesk server (linux based), there he is only reseller with accounts & ftp.

So for a migration he could only go in each customer by created ftp and copy files/directories.
The main problem is there are no manuals for doing migrations without a migration tool or root.

He has only access to plesk but no access to migration tool, neither others, besides from ftp
for each customer.

Is there a manual for doing a migration by ftp only available somewhere or is this impossible?
He can not copy every files to the new server, I guess only some files/directories are needed.
Also what steps in the new plesk have to be done or copied to make this task successful.
(Checkup List somewhere)

As a reseller I guess he has no way to send a official ticket to your technical support.
So I ask nicely if there is a documentation for this somewhere in English/german, would be helpful
or a list of files/directories used by plesk essential to know what to copy.

Thanks ahead for your help & assistance

I still don't fully understand what you mean by "He can not copy every files to the new server, I guess only some files/directories are needed.". If he has a reseller account and wants to move all his customers/clients to another server also using a reseller account then he has to perform the migration manually.

I don't think there is a manual for this scenario. In short I would say that any reseller, hosting plan and website settings will need to be migrated manually (e.g walk trough each setting and change them accordingly by hand). Moving websites and mail should be relatively easy.

If available he could use the Plesk website Importing and Plesk mail Importing tools. If those tools are not available to him he could either:
a) for each website download all websites files via FTP manually to his own computer and export databases too. And upload these files to his new server using FTP and import the database in Plesk using the database manager.
or
b) for each website archive all the website files in to a ZIP file using the Plesk file manager and download these to his computer (much faster than FTP) and also export all databases. Then again upload the ZIP for each website and extract the ZIP file using the Plesk file manager. And manually import each database using the Database manager.

It's not that hard. Just a lot of work.

Last edited:
I can only try to use on the target server plesk importer and plesk mail import tools
On the reseller account which files/directories need to be copied exactly by ftp if this fails?
How to know what to copy and what not?
Manual settings from plesk GUI we can copy manual, also database transfer by phpadmin i guess should be not the big problem.
Is there a checkup guide for migration files/directories, what to look for?

Back