• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Migration from 11.5 to 12 - Some questions

Alban Staehli

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I'm thinking about migrating a plesk 11.5 server to plesk 12.

Therefore, some questions raised:
- Are specific PHP-handler versions kept after migration? I installed 3 different versions of PHP, and I want to be sure these settings will be kept without the need of setting them up again.
- Is the core PHP version (installed with the OS) updated during migration? Or it will remain as it is?
- I've fail2ban installed manually on plesk 11.5. Shall I manually remove it prior to migration? No you should not need to remove it, just upgrade Plesk, and install Fail2Ban from the Plesk installer and it will do the rest, keeping trusted IPs, and any config you already have will be available in the Plesk GUI. => see answer below
- I've installed paid modules to Roundcube plesk default installation. Will these modules be kept after migration?
- After migration, if I install modsec through PLESK 12, is it possible to disable it on a per-domain rule? YES => Answer found here: http://talk.plesk.com/threads/modsec-on-a-per-domain-rule-basis.332234/#post-776515

Thanks for your help/advice.
Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, unfortunately, it seems I cannot get any assistance or feedback prior to at least one attempt of upgrading the server, as it is written on the free migration support page: "You must have made at least one attempt to install, migrate or upgrade (either from an older version of Parallels Plesk or a competing product)"... Not really convenient.

This attempt will give you information for a more detailed communication with support. It is difficult to predict what will be broken without this attempt. Perhaps it will be finished successfully.

I understand, but if this attempt breaks things, I won't be able to wait 10 business days to get free migration support.
Therefore, I think most of my questions can be answered before any attempt, just based on technical documentation or experience in such migration.

Me again, nobody ever migrated from 11.5 to 12?
No technician advice regarding those 2 questions?
- Are specific PHP-handler versions kept after migration? I installed 3 different versions of PHP, and I want to be sure these settings will be kept without the need of setting them up again.
- Is the core PHP version (installed with the OS) updated during migration? Or it will remain as it is?

Looking forward to getting some advice or answers.

Last edited:
I've fail2ban installed manually on plesk 11.5. Shall I manually remove it prior to migration?

No you should not need to remove it, just upgrade Plesk, and install Fail2Ban from the Plesk installer and it will do the rest, keeping trusted IPs, and any config you already have will be available in the Plesk GUI.
I hope that helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

Hey, thx for your help, and do you know anything about those 2 points as it seems you managed already the migration from 11.5 to 12?

The core version should not be touched by Plesk, but then neither should the extra versions as the packages are not managed by Plesk.

As for the Handlers, I would have thought that they would be backed up/migrated like the rest of the PHP config by Plesk.

Maybe IgorG can confirm my assumptions.

Actually, when you start migration you will see capability screen where all possible problems will be listed. If all looks fine - you start migration process.
We do not upgrade components during migration.

Hello, i am looking for a professional to start a migration from a Parallels Plesk (release 11.0.9 - Linux) to 12 release (latest - Linux). Can you provide some contacts ?. Thanks. Regards.

Back