• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Migration from 9.3 to 9.5 with external database servers

D

Dario Ristic

Hello,

I need help migrating from a Plesk server 9.3 to 9.5.2. Both 9.3 and 9.5.2 server use external MSSQL 2008 database servers (not the same one). Migration was finished with errors, and databases werent migrated. The error was:

</text></message></object><message code="FailedDatabaseDeployment" severity="error"><context>plesk::DatabaseDeployer::act</context><file>.\databases.cpp</file><line>193</line><text>Failed deployment of database_test_test (domain test.com)</text><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>plesk::ExecCmd::reportError</context><file>.\ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>65</line><text>Execution of "C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\bin\database-registrar.exe" --get-credentials mssqlserver.hostname.com: -type mssql failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
Can not found appropriate database server in Plesk
</text></message></message></object></object></execution-result>

How can I solve this problem? Does that mean that I have to add the original mssql server in the new Plesk server so it can find "appropriate database server in Plesk"? If thats the case, is there a possibility that the migration will corrupt the database during the migration?

Thanks...

database-registrar.exe" --get-credentials mssqlserver.hostname.com: -type mssql failed with return code 1

Make sure that hostname 'mssqlserver.hostname.com' is accessible and resolvable from this server.

Thank you for the answer IgorG.
The hostname 'mssqlserver.hostname.com' is accessible and resolvable from any of the servers, all needed ports are open, ACLs are ok, and that is not the problem.
It seems that Plesk Panel Migration tool can't restore databases on a different database server even if it is set as a default MSSQL server on the new Plesk server. That pretty much makes it unusable for Plesk Panel servers using external database servers.

I've tried couple of different migration procedures and the one that was closest to the solution was this one:

1. edited the hosts file so mssqlserver.hostname.com (address of the original database server) points to the new database server's IP

2. added the database server with the same address as the original MSSQL server - mssqlserver.hostname.com

3. started the migration and it was completed SUCCESSFULLY!!!

Database was restored on the new server so I can conclude that Migration tool has all the capabilities needed for the complete migration to the new database server, but the destination database server can't be changed during or before the migration. The problem with my solution is that database on the new server is connected to the fake mssqlserver.hostname.com server in Plesk Panel, not the default one.

I need a way to move the databases within the Plesk Panel database servers (even if it is the same one with 2 different hostnames), or change the database hostname in Plesk. The change of hostname in Plesk would be THE BEST solution, so i can for example use mssql for the database hostname on both plesk panel servers, and redirect mssql to adequate SQL server in servers' hosts files. The proper solution would be that I can somehow select the destination database server before the migration.

I really need the workaround for this problem fast, and I hope that this functionality will be added in the new version.
IgorG, please, work your magic!

If anyone has any ideas, please share them!

Back