• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Question Migration from plesk to plesk db error

LorisMod

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9 (Midnight Oncilla)
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.60 Update #1
Hello,

CentOS 7.9 source server with:

mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.5.25-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
Plesk Version 18.0.60 Update #1
Almalinux 8.9 target server with:
mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.39-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
Plesk Version 18.0.60 Update #1

However, I receive an error regarding the DB migration. This error also occurs when trying to import the database dump.
The error I get is the following:

Code:
Failed to copy content of database 'prestashop_db'

Migration tools tried to perform operation in 3 attempts: Command execution failed on the local server with non-zero exit code.

command: mysql --defaults-file=/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20240518120659/target-server/my_localhost_prestashop_db.cnf -h localhost -P 3306 -uadmin prestashop_db < /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20240518120659/target-server/db-dumps/prestashop_db.sql

exit code: 1

stdout:

stderr: ERROR at line 1: Unknown command '\-'.

On the forum I find references to similar errors, but they are all centered on different versions of the DB, in this case they are identical.

Hello,
Source Server:
mysqldump Ver 10.19 Distrib 10.5.25-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64)

Target Server:
mysqldump Ver 10.19 Distrib 10.3.39-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64)

Interesting, same version mysqldump utility. I don't think the difference in MariaDB version matters, but I am not 100% sure. You could try upgrade MaraiaDB 10.3 to version 10.5.

When manually importing dumps you can try to remove the following line from the dump file:
Code:
/*!999999\- enable the sandbox mode */

@Kaspar@Plesk We are unfortunately running into the same issue.

Migrating from CentOS 7.9 with MariaDB 10.5.25 to Ubuntu 20 with MariaDB 10.3.39 fails.
Migrating from CentOS 7.9 with MariaDB 10.5.25 to Ubuntu 22 with MariaDB 10.6.16 fails.

Any idea or workarounds? We have some migrations planned for next week..

Duplicate with Issue - MariaDB failed imports - ERROR at line 1: Unknown command '\-'.

From reading MDEV-34183 it seems Plesk should apply the following workaround after creating the dump or before importing the dump:
  • you can use mariadb-dump|tail +2 to remove the problematic line when making a backup
  • you can use tail +2|mariadb to remove the problematic line when applying a backup
to remove this line: /*!999999\- enable the sandbox mode */

MariaDB is not going to fix this bug: "Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about it. This change came as a fix for CVE-2024-21096, and security fixes can sometimes break backward compatibility."

Our current workaround to work around "ERROR at line 1: Unknown command '\-' ":
  1. Run the Plesk Migrator like normal
  2. Run on source:
    Code:
    cd /root && /usr/sbin/plesk db -e "show databases" | grep -v -E "^Database|information_schema|performance_schema|phpmyadmin" > dblist.txt
    • and move dblist.txt to /root/ on target server
  3. Run on target server a command to remove the faulty line from all the dump files (/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/..../target-server/db-dumps).
  4. Run on target server:
    Code:
    for i in `cat /root/dblist.txt`; do MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql -u admin < /root/mysql_dumps_all/"$i".sql; done

For point 3 one might use the script below. The directory looks like /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/..../target-server/db-dumps

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Specify the directory
directory="/path/to/directory"

# Iterate over each .sql file in the directory
for file in "$directory"/*.sql; do
    if [ -f "$file" ]; then
        # Check if the first line contains the specific text
        if head -n 1 "$file" | grep -q "enable the sandbox mode"; then
            # Use sed to remove the first line and save the changes in place
            sed -i '1d' "$file"
        fi
    fi
done

@Mark_NLD thank you for sharing your solution. Form what I can gather so far the best course of action is make sure that both source and target server are running MariaDB version 10.4 or higher. As these version have received a fix, bit lower version are outside of the support cycle of MariaDB.

EDIT: See next post

Last edited:
Actually, the advised solution is to make sure that MariaDB runs the latest version of the current branch/series. So updating 10.6.16 to 10.6.18 should solve the issue (as longs as the target server also runs the latest branch version too).

Actually, the advised solution is to make sure that MariaDB runs the latest version of the current branch/series. So updating 10.6.16 to 10.6.18 should solve the issue (as longs as the target server also runs the latest branch version too).
can you please explain HOW to update to the latest version of mariadb?
we have just hit this problem migrating from an old centos 7 container (virtuozzo) to ubuntu 22.04 vm (proxmox)
our new server is still running 10.6.16 and no updates to 10.6.18?
can we use the offical mariadb repos with plesk and no problems?

Back