• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration manager doesn't work with unix user with sudo access

hariskhan

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

Previously on Plesk 8.6, we'v used unix account with sudo access through which we would *migrate* data using Plesk's Migration Manager. This would be done over the LAN interface.

Now, it seems, in plesk 11, only root user can be used with PMM for migration ?

Is that right ?

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

with user that has sudo access, I get the following messages;

Error: launchpad error (Error code = 2):
== STDERR ====================
Can't create agent directory /var/PMM/20121018140101464 on the remote host: sh: line 0: cd: /var/PMM/20121018140101464: No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/PMM': Permission denied

==============================

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also, I tried migration with root user. Migration worked its way, and eventually failed.

When I tried to *finish* the failed migration instance, by pressing the OK button on the relevant page, Plesk acted as if I hadn't clicked the OK `button. Nothing happened. I had to remove the instance of migration from the list using the "Remove" option on the page where Plesk lists started migration instances/processes.

Last edited:
Isn't that drastically insecure way to do migration ? Repeatedly transmit root password over network wire all throughout the migration process ?

Why has the sudo user way been removed from PMM ? It worked great "as it was".

It needed improvements like also migrate horde or squirrelmail related settings with the rest of the data.

Migration fails when I use root user as well

I'm migrating 1 domain from a plesk 8.6 box that has centos 5.8 to plesk 11 on centos 6.3.

Looks like the migration tool has much more errors than just yours.

I got a new server... migrate from plesk 10 to plesk 11 and i get nothing but user already exists errors.

I follow instructions on how to purge destination server of these users... go back into migration manager and try again and does the same thing.

This is off fresh installation... who knows... maybe its all broken.

In new plesk versions migration manager has the feature to overwrite the current existent data. (unless if you unchecked Replace existing objects)

I wish this feature worked.
It however does not.

Multiple attempts to remigrate domains with the option checked to overwrite existing data failed with the same error.
User already exists.

I had to delete all subscriptions
delete all users from /etc/passwd (because deleting the subscription did not remove them)
and then i had to remove the users from the sys_users table and then re-import them a handful at a time in order to get them to move properly.

Ian, and don't forget to sync both servers after migration lets you be surprised when some data is missing ...I always recommend right after migration completion, you sync (with rsycn) the /var/vhosts/domain.com abd /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com folders.

I have faced it a number of times where some files get not migrated ...

Ohh yes... without a doubt

i always manually copy the databases, database users (in case it was done outside of Plesk)
manually copy emails (just before I repoint name servers)
manually copy data (just before I repoint)

Also as a thumb rule i always keep old server for a week to ensure that if there is anything missing... i can resort easily.

I was just hoping for a smooth migration using the migrate complete server option... wake up in the morning and start testing... only to find that i let the migration run for 9 hrs and every domain failed.

Hey that's a good feature request... on the progress screen show errors accumulated so far... in my case i could have canceled the migration once i realized it was failing.

Plesk migration is still hmmm (that one :))
I also don't like the fact that it takes a long while to migrate simple data ...(even less than 2GB it can take an hour+)

I wish they could create a feature where one can just migrate ALL configurations + databases and the the rest of the data (httpdocs + mail data) be manually transfered since its easy really moving physical data and takes lesser time than it would when using Plesk do the data migration.

Also as a thumb rule i always keep old server for a week to ensure that if there is anything missing... i can resort easily.

That is wise :)

Back