• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration Manager freezing up

Dr Zoidberg

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I've been having trouble for 12 hours now and am starting to lose my cool!

I succesfully migrated several domains from a RHE3 7.5.4 to a RHE3 8.0.1 box, last week. This week I've been trying to migrate many more domains, from a 7.5.4 Fedora Core box.

Some domains migrate OK, some with errors related to config options available on the source server that don't apply to the destination server - fair enough.

But I'm down to the last half-dozen which will not shift. I get no error, I just get so far in to "Download Progress" and it freezes. The page keeps refreshing and I can "Cancel", but no progress is made. It only seems to affect these domains, some small, some large, consistantly, and I have no idea why - there isn't even an error to look at, it just stops.

Can anyone help me? Anyone else experienced this? How did you overcome?

TIA.

How long have you left it to see if it actually completes? At one point on my migration it appeared nothing was happening for an hour...

I would suggest logging in as root and running "top" when you start migrating those domains. Figure out which service is running (pmm?) and watch it ... if it all of a sudden drops off the list when you think its frozen, then its probably frozen, but if it doesn't, then its probably still working ...

I know its not a great answer, but its something ...

Also - if its only a couple domains, move them over by hand ... = )

Good luck ...

Luke

Originally posted by lpittman
How long have you left it to see if it actually completes? At one point on my migration it appeared nothing was happening for an hour...

I would suggest logging in as root and running "top" when you start migrating those domains. Figure out which service is running (pmm?) and watch it ... if it all of a sudden drops off the list when you think its frozen, then its probably frozen, but if it doesn't, then its probably still working ...

I know its not a great answer, but its something ...

Also - if its only a couple domains, move them over by hand ... = )

Good luck ...

Luke

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I left it running overnight! I mean it really DOES freeze up.

The server admin did what you described yesterday, when we first tried it, and immediately concluded that the task had frozen. It keeps happening.

As for moving by hand: some quite large sites, with settings and large databases etc - Migration Manager should make it easy!

Anyone else any ideas as to cause/solution?

Have you tried moving _one_ of those large domains?

Have you checked the PMM log file? (In the PMM temp directory you specify)

Luke

Originally posted by lpittman
Have you tried moving _one_ of those large domains?

Again, yes. I had 60 sites to transfer. Each time I tried by bulk I found it wouldn't work, so I moved to doing it one site at a time. That lead me to discover that it was usually something about the config of a specific site, as set up on the source server, that it wouldn't like (eg if it had the source server's anti-virus setup for it, which wasn't available on the destination server, once I removed the option from the site's config on the source server, it would migrate).

But I tried all and any options I can think of with these remaining domains, which are small and big, complex and simple, and I cannot see what else to check for. Besides, rather than just stopping, I'd expect something to tell me why!

Have you checked the PMM log file? (In the PMM temp directory you specify)

Luke

No. Do you mean on the *destination* server? What should I look for?

Yes I agree, it should tell you something.

The PMM log files should be on both the source and destination I beleive, but I know for sure they are on the destination server. I'd check them both for anything odd ... they'll be quite long, but worth the read. = )

Look right at the end of each log file for any errors and post them here if they don't help you.

Luke

Back