• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration Question

nscotney

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2012 / Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Onyx 17.8.11 / Obsidian 18.0.47
Hi All,

I've been tasked with a migrating our current Plesk Server (Onyx) to a new box, where we'll be upgrading to Obsidian. I've setup the Obsidian server on the new box with a Trial Licence, and tested the migration on a few different domains, which appears to be working fine at this point.

The questions that I'm now left with is what is the correct process to complete the migration. By this, what I mean is:

1) I did some research on migrating with a trial license and came across this post, which seems to elude it's possible (Question - Same license key on 2 servers long enough for migration?). However, with a trial license, the logs say that I'm only allowed to pull in 3 Websites and any more will be ignored, so how can I migrate everything over to the box with a trial license?

2) I've noticed on the new box (trial license), there's no Customer or Subscription options in the menu on the left. Is this a restriction of the trial licence and if so, when upgraded to our full license, will all my customers and subscriptions re-appear?

Many thanks in advance for any responses

1) I did some research on migrating with a trial license and came across this post, which seems to elude it's possible (Question - Same license key on 2 servers long enough for migration?). However, with a trial license, the logs say that I'm only allowed to pull in 3 Websites and any more will be ignored, so how can I migrate everything over to the box with a trial license?
A trial license limits only the time of use but not the allowed resources. Check it out here Tools&Settings > License information

2) I've noticed on the new box (trial license), there's no Customer or Subscription options in the menu on the left. Is this a restriction of the trial licence and if so, when upgraded to our full license, will all my customers and subscriptions re-appear?
Click on Change View in the left-bottom corner and switch to Service Provider view.

Click on Change View in the left-bottom corner and switch to Service Provider view.
Many thanks for this, that's just what I was looking for

A trial license limits only the time of use but not the allowed resources. Check it out here Tools&Settings > License information
When I go to the License page it shows the attached image, showing that I only have limited availability.
Screenshot 2022-10-18 123115.png

Then when I got to Migrate, the pre migration checks show the following, indicating that I don't have enough resources on target. Screenshot 2022-10-18 122810.png

Would you be able to clarify whether it is a case that it pulls them in regardless, but only allows you to access / use the number that your license allows?

Thanks again in advance

Hasn't this changed with version 18.0.47?

From the change log:
Plesk has changed its trial license limits on September 27. All trial licenses created after that date will be limited to managing three (or less) of the following: domains, domain aliases, mailboxes, mail accounts, user accounts, and web users. You can purchase non-trial Plesk licenses without these limitations.

I requested it via the website, by signing up for a trial.

On the assumption you can still migrate using a trial license and having done some more research, maybe this article is what I'm looking for?

How to get Plesk Web Host edition trial license for migration​

Back