• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migration: WebSitePanel -> Plesl Onyx AWS

rafaelgrecco

New Pleskian
Hello,

I currently run my own webserver using WebSitePanel. I am planning on migrating all my websites (around 500) to Plesk Onyx on AWS and I would like some advice.

My current configuration:

I have websites running ASP, PHP, several versions of .Net, Wordpress, using MySQL and MSSQL.
I run 2 servers, the primary one with all services (webhosting, databases and primary DNS) and a secondary one (running secondary DNS), both using WebSitePanel.
As both of these servers are VMs, I do backup the VMs and replicate them (I have 2 copys on separate physical locations).

When I migrate to Plesk Onyx AWS, I understand that I will run webservice, databases and DNS on a single server, correct?

What about secondary server for secondary DNS? How do you guys do it? Run a second instance of Plesk on another server?

What about backups? Do you guys do backups of the VMs running on AWS? Use a third party service for it? Or only backup the actual data (website, database and DNS data).

I would like some advice on the best pratices when running Plesk Onyx on AWS.

Thanks!

When I migrate to Plesk Onyx AWS, I understand that I will run webservice, databases and DNS on a single server, correct?
Yes.
What about secondary server for secondary DNS? How do you guys do it? Run a second instance of Plesk on another server?
Slave DNS Manager Plesk extension will help you - Slave DNS Manager - Plesk Extensions
What about backups?
Why Plesk Backup system is not suitable for you? Could you please clarify?

Hi Igor, thank you very much for your help.

Slave DNS Manager Plesk extension will help you - Slave DNS Manager - Plesk Extensions
https://ext.plesk.com/packages/f58eac32-6fda-4886-8d44-d3cb7b98933e-slave-dns-manager

That's exactly what I need! I searched through the extensions but I could not find a DNS Slave Extension for Windows (we are a company specialized in Microsoft products and have very basic knowlodge on Linux)

Why Plesk Backup system is not suitable for you? Could you please clarify?

I am used to have the entire VM backed up and if I need I just have to start the VM. But having a second look, I think the Plesk Backup System will be enough.

-----------------

What about the paid packs? Is there a pack that you think is indispensable for a Webserver? I will run exclusively websites, no e-mail server. Most packs seems to be aimed at e-mail service...

I will definetely buy the Language Pack.

What about the paid packs? Is there a pack that you think is indispensable for a Webserver?
Paid pack? I think that the content of such a pack will depend on the needs of your web hosting. As such a pack I'd suggest that you review the entire catalog of Plesk extensions and choose from it what you need.

Back