• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Missing access logs and pipe logs enabled

Tozz

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

We are using piped logging with Plesk 11.5, but on one server we are having issues with statistics. Basically no statistics are ever made, because it cannot find any logs to process. The folder in /var/www/vhosts/<domain>/logs/ only contains error_log files, no access_logs. The only apache log that is beeing fed with data is /var/log/apache/other_vhosts_access.log (Debian default).

With "lsof" I am able to to determine that indeed only other_vhosts_access.log is opened by Apache, which is identical to another Plesk machine which does not exhibit this issue. So it must be an issue with Plesk nog filling the logs from the other-vhosts_access.log. I was wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem here. The only thing I can think of is that this server hosts a couple of busy websites. Could the logs be too big? (Roughly 1.5 GB/week).

Ok, I discovered that on a working server there is a process "pipelog" running, which is absent on this server. So I figured the issue is probably caused due to this pipelog not beeing operational. I disabled Piped logging in Plesk -> Tools & Settings -> Apache Web Server and then enabled it again. That seems to resolve the issue, as there is now a pipelog process.

We enable pipelog, as per the KB, by changing a parameter in the MySQL PSA database. It looks likes Plesk "forgets" to actually updates the Apache configuration with this new pipelogging system. Is there a way we can force Plesk to update it's core apache settings? Also, is there a better way of using pipe logging in our install script? In other words, is there a CLI command we can use?

Ok, I discovered that on a working server there is a process "pipelog" running, which is absent on this server. So I figured the issue is probably caused due to this pipelog not beeing operational. I disabled Piped logging in Plesk -> Tools & Settings -> Apache Web Server and then enabled it again. That seems to resolve the issue, as there is now a pipelog process.

We enable pipelog, as per the KB, by changing a parameter in the MySQL PSA database. It looks likes Plesk "forgets" to actually updates the Apache configuration with this new pipelogging system. Is there a way we can force Plesk to update it's core apache settings? Also, is there a better way of using pipe logging in our install script? In other words, is there a CLI command we can use?
You can recompile apache via following command

$PRODUCT_ROOT_D/admin/sbin/websrvmng -v -a

Ref: How do I enable Piped Logs for Apache Web Server

Back