• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

ModSecurity Rule execution error - PCRE limits exceeded

Theodor

New Pleskian
Hello,

have somebody an ideea how to change the ModSecurity PCRE limits?

Wed Feb 24 22:11:13 2010] [error] [client...] ModSecurity: Rule execution error - PCRE limits exceeded (-8): (null). [hostname "..."] [uri "/administrator/index.php"] [unique_id "..."]

THX for help

Theodor

This has to do with the new PCRE recursion anto-DOS measures added into 2.5.12. It required a fairly significant rule update to support, which we added in last month.

I "fix" the PCRE limits exceeded Problem, I renamed the PHPIDS filters file with a new empty file, restart the Apache and now all my customers can change the website content with no restrctions.

Of course this is a quick an dirty method but much easyer like recompiling the ModSecurity.

Hope this help

Theodor

HI Theodor: you can compile modsecurity with pcre limit

./configure --enable-pcre-match-limit=90000 --enable-pcre-match-limit-recursion=90000
make && make install

and you can check limits whit

php -i | egrep -i pcre

or can set limit en php.ini
[Pcre]
pcre.backtrack_limit=1000000
pcre.recursion_limit=1000000

Hi Theodor: you can compile modsecurity with PCRE limit

./configure --enable-pcre-match-limit=90000 --enable-pcre-match-limit-recursion=90000
make && make install

Just be careful with that, what you're doing is creating a way to bypass mod_security on your system by limiting regular expression recursion.

Back