• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Monitor a RAID drive

Pagemakers

Silver Pleskian
Will watchdog tell me if a RAID drive fails?

If not, is there any commercial software on the market that will?

If you have some special service for RAID, you can add monitoring for this service to /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc config file with the same manner as for other services.

If this is a soft raid you can monitor the disk health with the smart daemon & tools. A hardware raid would usually require utilities from the hardware raid card manufacturer

Thanks, it’s RAID 1 Hardware form 1&1 and they tell me they don’t monitor the disks but will replace them if they go faulty. There lies the problem, how do in know if one goes faulty?

Doesn’t Watchdog monitor for RAID failures?

I have no idea….It’s whatever 1&1 install on their servers.

They don’t monitor RAID
Looks like Plesk can’t.

How am I ever supposed to know if a drive goes down??

This is what they say….

Yes, it is a hardware raid card made by Areca. By default it is set to mirror the other drive (Raid 1).

Bad news Im afraid.

Unfortunately that card does not support monitoring via smart, from what I read the only available interface for that card is to use their proprietary utility (available for rhel/centos 5). It does not appear to support any proactive monitoring capability like the smart can.

So how does my hosting company expect me to know if a drive has gone down? They don’t monitor drive failures and if I can’t monitor them, what’s the point of RAID, or am I missing something here?

Any tips for the software raid monitoring and notification under centos?

Many thanks!!

Back