• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

More broken subdomain migration issues

HostaHost

Regular Pleskian
There is a known issue we've been waiting about five months for Parallels to fix: if you migrate a site in 10.4 and it contains subdomains, the subdomains will be stuck on the ip address from the old server and not the new site IP. Here's a past thread on it that never got any Parallels attention:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=621268#post621268

After the migration, any change you try to make to the subdomains results in the error "Failed to updated ip. Can't set to addon domain ip different from webspace ip."

The fix is to hand edit the IpAddressesCollections table in the database and set the subdomain id's, which are a pain to figure out, and set the ip id numbers to the correct values, then regenerate the config for all the affected subdomains.

Well now we have a second problem. Even if you do the above fix, if you enable IPv6 for the primary domain, the error comes back when you try to make any changes to subdomains. I have not been able to figure out any working combination of values in the IpAddressesCollections table that will make the error go away. The only workaround I can find is turn off ipv6, make the changes you need to the subdomains, then turn it back on.

We need a fix for both of these issues Parallels. If you can at least tell me what to do to fix the ipv6 issue I'd appreciate it since at least I would then be able to work around the bugs in both cases. And no, I don't want to upgrade to Plesk 11 to fix it.

Sorry, but could you please tell me where this issue was reported with known template? We need detailed report for sending it to developers for investigation.

Here's the info:

1) Version 10.4, from at least whatever microupdates were current in March 2012 and newer, CentOS 5 and 6.

2/3/4) If you use the Plesk Migration Manager to move a site that is on an exclusive IP from one server running Plesk 10 to another server running 10.4, and the site has sub-domains, the subdomains will be locked to the incorrect IP addresses they had on the old server with no way for you to change their IP addresses on the new server. i.e. if your old server has the primary domain and a subdomain assigned to address 1.2.3.4 and the new server has spare exclusive IP address 2.3.4.5 which you choose to place this migrating domain on, the subdomains of your migrated domain will be stuck on 2.3.4.5 with no way to change that in the Plesk interface. Additionally, if you attempt to change any aspect of the hosting that would affect apache, i.e. anything on the web hosting settings page or php values page, you will be given the error "Failed to updated ip. Can't set to addon domain ip different from webspace ip."

The fix for this is to manually edit the database table IpAddressesCollections in the psa database to assign the subdomains to the same IP address id number as the primary domain. This can be very difficult to figure out if you don't realize this problem occurred right away since the record will no longer be at the end of the table. Additionally, after you have corrected the issue in the database, you need to do something to cause the subdomain's configuration to be rebuilt so new config files will be written out correctly.

Additionally, which I discovered yesterday, even if you perform the above steps to fix the problem, if you are on an IPv6-enabled server and have an IPv6 address assigned to the primary site, there is NO obvious solution to get rid of the "Failed to updated ip. Can't set to addon domain ip different from webspace ip." error IF IPv6 is assigned to the primary domain. The only workaround that I can find if you want to change settings on your subdomains is to set the site's IPv6 address to "none", make the changes you want, then turn it back on.

5) The expected result is that the migration manager work correctly and migrated sub-domains have all the same options as a subdomain created from scratch on the 10.4 server.

Ok. I reformatted request for you:

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Version 10.4, from at least whatever microupdates were current in March 2012 and newer, CentOS 5 and 6.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
ACTUAL RESULT

If you use the Plesk Migration Manager to move a site that is on an exclusive IP from one server running Plesk 10 to another server running 10.4, and the site has sub-domains, the subdomains will be locked to the incorrect IP addresses they had on the old server with no way for you to change their IP addresses on the new server. i.e. if your old server has the primary domain and a subdomain assigned to address 1.2.3.4 and the new server has spare exclusive IP address 2.3.4.5 which you choose to place this migrating domain on, the subdomains of your migrated domain will be stuck on 2.3.4.5 with no way to change that in the Plesk interface. Additionally, if you attempt to change any aspect of the hosting that would affect apache, i.e. anything on the web hosting settings page or php values page, you will be given the error "Failed to updated ip. Can't set to addon domain ip different from webspace ip."

The fix for this is to manually edit the database table IpAddressesCollections in the psa database to assign the subdomains to the same IP address id number as the primary domain. This can be very difficult to figure out if you don't realize this problem occurred right away since the record will no longer be at the end of the table. Additionally, after you have corrected the issue in the database, you need to do something to cause the subdomain's configuration to be rebuilt so new config files will be written out correctly.

Additionally, which I discovered yesterday, even if you perform the above steps to fix the problem, if you are on an IPv6-enabled server and have an IPv6 address assigned to the primary site, there is NO obvious solution to get rid of the "Failed to updated ip. Can't set to addon domain ip different from webspace ip." error IF IPv6 is assigned to the primary domain. The only workaround that I can find if you want to change settings on your subdomains is to set the site's IPv6 address to "none", make the changes you want, then turn it back on.

EXPECTED RESULT

The expected result is that the migration manager work correctly and migrated sub-domains have all the same options as a subdomain created from scratch on the 10.4 server.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

And forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.

Just to save people some time;

To find what ipAddressCollections record to change for a specific domain, find the dom_id in psa.DomainServices, "web" for DomainServices.type and that record has the ipCollectionId that you need to find in the psa.IpAddressCollections table.

Since Parallels has decided to not fix this issue in Plesk 10 after it was reported eight months ago, here are some queries to help those that run into this issue. Run these against the psa database, i.e.:

mysql -u admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa

First one (replace DOMAIN.COM with the primary domain in question):

select ipAddressId from IpAddressesCollections where ipCollectionID=(select ipCollectionID from DomainServices where type="web" and dom_id=(select id from domains where name="DOMAIN.COM"));

Second one (replace SUB.DOMAIN.COM with the sub-domain in question):

select ipCollectionID from DomainServices where dom_id=(select id from domains where name="SUB.DOMAIN.COM");

Third, take the results from the above two, one at a time, and put the numbers in where noted:

update IpAddressesCollections set ipAddressId='1st RESULT' where ipCollectionId='2nd RESULT';

Just run that second query more than once if you have more than one result for the second part.

ridiculous

Sorry, but could you please tell me where this issue was reported with known template? We need detailed report for sending it to developers for investigation.

IgorG: you can modify post, but you fail to modify the negative impression of your product on my mind and other users, which is a world away from a world-class control panel installed on Linux servers. Good Luck!!!!

Just had the same.

Weird thing:

Code:
mysql> select ipCollectionID from DomainServices where type="web" and dom_id=(select id from domains where name="xyz.com");
+----------------+
| ipCollectionID |
+----------------+
|            775 |
+----------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select ipAddressId from IpAddressesCollections where ipCollectionID=775;
+-------------+
| ipAddressId |
+-------------+
|           1 | #ipv4
|           2 | #ipv6
+-------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select ipCollectionID from DomainServices where dom_id=(select id from domains where name="subdomain.xyz.com");
+----------------+
| ipCollectionID |
+----------------+
|            776 |
+----------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select ipAddressId from IpAddressesCollections where ipCollectionID=776;
+-------------+
| ipAddressId |
+-------------+
|           1 |
+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

PBA-S does something weird when updating a subscription.
If it has no IPv6 and I push the order -> fail.

I checked the DB and the IP address ID for the IPv6 adress is not added to the subdomain's collection.

If I then remove IPv6 from the hosting, and re-add IPv6 via Plesk, provision for the order from PBA-S succeeds.

So the solution is to have:

Code:
mysql> select ipAddressId from IpAddressesCollections where ipCollectionID=776;
+-------------+
| ipAddressId |
+-------------+
|           1 |
|           2 |
+-------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Last edited:
I have little to add to this issue, besides a "me too". Very irritating bug and time consuming to resolve.

The bug report is here a long time ago, why isn't this resolved?

Back