• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Moving operating systems, suggestions needed!

S

seanstephens

Hello All.

We are currently evaluating moving plesk from our current RedHat server to FreeBSD or Fedora Core 2. Has anyone had any problems with plesk under these operating systems?

Has anyone had problems migrating plesk to different versions of linux?

We are trying to avoid all headaches. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I love FreeBSD. I almost exclusively use it for my systems. However I very much dislike Plesk on FreeBSD. The reasons are as follows:

a) Plesk on FreeBSD is always 2+ months behind all the other Plesk releases. So if there is a new version, and your customers pay attention to new releases, that's 2 months of them crying to get the new features/version.

This also means that if you're in the business of reselling Plesk servers, and your customers like to buy their own licenses (as an example), they will accidentally buy a key for the "newest" Plesk version - which will not work with/be available for FreeBSD unless it's been out for 2-3 months at the least. Which means your customer will have a worthless key & will have to keep using "temporary" 14-30 day keys on their server until the newest version comes out for FreeBSD. It's a pain.

b) Plesk on FreeBSD is usually built for very outdated versions of the OS. By that, I mean it is only within the last week that they supported FBSD 5.3. Before that, it has been FBSD 4.9 support. As anyone that uses FreeBSD knows, 4.11 is out, and there are plenty of reasons why you wouldn't want to use 4.9 at this point. Don't try to "trick" the Plesk software into using 4.10/11with it by the way, it will refuse to install by default, and you'll have to tweak some stuff to get it to install at all unless you are using FreeBSD 4.9. Also, the "auto updater" will see you are not using FreeBSD 4.9 and wont work. Additionally, the backup utilities are broken out of the box on FreeBSD. You'll need to install some additional perl components to get it to work.

c) Plesk on FreeBSD seems to be an afterthought on SW-Soft's part. By that, I mean that a lot of things need to be setup to get Plesk to work right. Anywhere from recompiling the kernel for Quota support (common sense says the installer should scream about it if you dont have QUOTA support enabled), to installing lots of additional perl modules, to the fact that Plesk uses Perl 5.005 instead of the system perl, to ... well, the list is long. Suffice it to say that Plesk on FreeBSD is what I would consider "high maintenance" to setup correctly.

I would suggest using an OS that is supported by Atomic Rocket Turtle's repository (YUM, etc). He seems to keep things up to date, and has some nice packages to make your life easier. Of course, donating to him if you use it, for making your life easier, isn't a bad idea.

My 2c. I would not suggest FreeBSD/Plesk unless you're very familiar with how Plesk works on the inside, familiar with how the FreeBSD OS works, and you are ready to find and fix the problems you will run into with a default install on FreeBSD/Plesk. My thoughts are that the easier your life is, the more productive you can be. Plesk on FreeBSD is not the lowest-maintenance version out there; I would suggest something else.

Back