• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Multiple domains under the same customer account needs MUCH more granular control

Curtis1

Basic Pleskian
Hi
Multiple domains under the same customer account needs MUCH more granular control.
Why is it assumed that ALL of the domains a user has will be managed by the same person/people ?
If a customer wants to assign different domains to different people to manage, there is no way to do it.

Email :
Have 7 domains on one account ? You end up with all of the emails for ALL accounts slammed into a single "email" management area. No way to manage unique domains. HELL NO i don't want to give email management of our primary domain to the same person that will be managing our experimental computer tutoring domain. Sorry, but that is a really poor design. Each domain needs to be able to manage its own email accounts (or all resources) uniquely, in addition to having a possible "master" account to manage everything.

FTP :
In OUR (HawaiianHope) account, i created a new domain, then created a sub domain on that domain...then i CLICKED on the sub domain to "manage" it. you know... making the assumption that because i clicked on it and everything else dissapeared, it is actually managing THAT subdomain.
I then created a new FTP account and gave it root access to the SUB DOMAIN. Then sent the login details out to a volunteer / tech trainee with instructions of "experiment and go for it ! - Learn what you can with web design"

WOW.. what a potentially major F up that almost was.

Just like Email. managing FTP accounts are customer wide, not domain specific. So even though i had clicked on the sub domain to create an FTP account..... setting up the FTP account will work on ANY domain in the customer account. So, ftp.yourMainDomain.com or ftp.ExtremeConfidentialDomain.com or ftp.SomeJunkDomain.com ... its all the same, irrelevant as long as they are all in your same customer account. any FTP account created will work on all of them.
and giving the FTP account root access, thinking you are setting it up for any specific domain or a sub domain, actually gives it root access to your entire customer account.

Yes, I as the primary administrator want full control of everything from one spot, BUT... there needs to be the ability of managing resources, domain specific. When i click on a domain in the account, it ONLY makes changes to THAT domain, and nothing else. Likewise i should be able to create a "sub manager" account and assign it to any of the domains in the user account, and that "sub manager" can only access and alter the domains it is assigned to.

Thank you !

Just put every domain in separate subscription - then FTP and everything else will be isolated to that domain (subscription). That is the model you are looking for.

Plesk allows flexibility so that administrators can pick the model which is most appropriate for their business:
A. within subscription, domains are kind of shared - same IP, same system account (FTP too), same resource pool
B. between different subscriptions, domains are fully isolated - different sys.users, different resource pools and can be on different IPs as well
You obviously needed B

Thank you for responding, but no, that is NOT what i "obviously" need.

So you are saying that customers that have multiple domains, they should not have the ability to control all of the domains from a single control point / account, if they also need or desire to have unique people managing different aspects of different domains.

If a customer wants to have a single master control account so one person (a primary administrator) can oversee everything, and then delegate components or divisions to subordinate staff, you think the primary administrator should be forced to have multiple subscription accounts. (multiple billing accounts, multiple alert accounts, multiple DNS management points)

So a webmaster that has 30 different domains should be expected to have 30 different subscriptions and exponentially more login accounts. And if they want to assign those 30 domains to 3 subordinate staff to manage, each staff may also need an additional 30 user accounts plus 30 FTP accounts
So for a staff of 4 to manage 30 domains we would need a starting minimum of 240 types of login accounts (30 domains x 4 staff x 2 (1 plesk login +1 ftp login))
and that is JUST the support staff, not counting other staff that might need ftp accounts to load photos directly into photo album directories or other sub directories.

And if you have 10 customers with the same configuration, now you need 2,400 login accounts to manage 300 domains.

I stated exactly what I, and others, need : A full control account WITH granular control and the ability to delegate responsibilities.

Thank you

Back