• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Multiple emails in catch all mailbox

dennis_81

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

we have a problem with the catch-all mailbox we created in Plesk.
We are using a Pop3 Connector to retrieve mails from this mailbox and distribute the emails locally to the Exchange.

Unfortunately the Plesk behaves differently than expected.
When we receive an email that is send to two or more unknown recipients, this email ends up in the catch-all mailbox once for each recipient. For example, if an email has five recipients, I have five new emails in this mailbox. I have been told by support that this behavior is by design, yet I need a solution for this, because my Pop3 Connector retrieves these five mails and delivers them five times to all five recipients. In total there are 25 new emails then.

This behaviour is completely different to my old mail server. It simply put the incoming mails 1:1 into the catch-all mailbox and that worked without any problems.

Can I do this somehow with Plesk (or Postfix)?
This scenario is not that unusual, is it?

IMHO, catch-all mailboxes are a pain - soon some spammer on the net discoveres that whatever he picks goes, so he will start sending you thousands of emails.

When we receive an email that is send to two or more unknown recipients, this email ends up in the catch-all mailbox once for each recipient. For example, if an email has five recipients, I have five new emails in this mailbox. I have been told by support that this behavior is by design
Yes it is, perfectly correct behavior. Five incoming mails with addresses that are not defined end up as five incoming mails in your catch all target.

because my Pop3 Connector retrieves these five mails and delivers them five times to all five recipients. In total there are 25 new emails then.
As you say it: YOUR pop3 connector retrieves the mails five times. Not Plesk delivers them five times. There are only five mails in your mailbox. If your pop3 connector downloads and/or delivers them five times, that's a problem with the connector configuration not with the mail server. There is nothing you can do on your mail server about it.
Anyway, I suggest to not use catch-all but to configure individual mailboxes instead for various reasons. Not only will it likely solve your current issue with your pop3 connector, but it will also be a much better protection against unwanted spam.

Back