• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Multiple master DNS - single slave

thinkingcap

Basic Pleskian
If I have a single Plesk instance utilising the SlaveDNS extension to replicate zones, I assume its OK to add a second Plesk instance that also syncs to the same slave nameserver?
What are others doing that have +5 Plesk instances and want to use separate, multiple name servers?

Thanks
Dave

If I have a single Plesk instance utilising the SlaveDNS extension to replicate zones, I assume its OK to add a second Plesk instance that also syncs to the same slave nameserver?
What are others doing that have +5 Plesk instances and want to use separate, multiple name servers?

Thanks
Dave
More important than having many slave DNS servers is having 2 DNS servers on separate infrastructures.
It's supposed to be even a requirement on certain top level domains.

I have only one slave server, but it's on a separate infrastructure. It runs on a Plesk server, but that one does not have the Plesk DNS extension enabled. It's a manual installation outside the scope of Plesk.

The Plesk server running the master isn't running any websites or mail.
All the domains are in 1 server.
Having 3 DNS servers on the same infrastructure isn't as good as the 2 I have on separate infrastructures.

Edit

I now see it's more than 1 master.
Yes, that's a solution too, but I prefer to have DNS on 1 server.
Consider having the slave on a separate infrastructure.

Hi,

I think it is not recommended and not supported configuration.

Yes, you can use one slave DNS server with multiple Plesk instances at your own risk, but what happened if you create the same domain on two or more instances with Plesk? I don't know the result, I think it can create some issues with such the domain.

Back