• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Multiple Resseller accounts access the same customers?

Ged

New Pleskian
Hi,
We are provisioning a new server for hosting students project work, we wanted to give them a professional hosting experience so chose Plesk, plus we use Debian as standard which cpanel etc. doesn't suport.
We have the server setup OK and I'm busily looking into the API to get all the accounts provisioned but one of the requirements is that the lecturers have access to the students accounts much like a reseller account would with their customers.
Now my problem is their will be several lecturers needing to access the students work/accounts, there doesn't seem to be any options to delegate access out within a reseller account or associate a customer with more than one reseller, is this possible?
I know we can have multiple admin users, but we need to lock down what the lecturers can do to the system, much like a Reseller account and the admin account gives them far too much access to break things.
Is the only option to have the lecturers access it under one account?
Thanks,
Ged

but we need to lock down what the lecturers can do to the system, much like a Reseller account and the admin account gives them far too much access to break things.
Have you tried to use User Roles for this? You can create own User Role with necessary permissions and use it for lecture accounts.

So I would need to add the custom role to each customer/student account then add in every lecturer as a new user to every student account, or can I add the lecturer user ID to the role under each customer/student?
or is there similar delegation at the reseller level I'm completely missing?
Sorry if I missing something obvious!
Thanks,
Ged

Hi,
I also only get user management under the subscription rather than on the side menu like in the documentation.
We are using the dedicated servers Web Host Edition if that helps.
Thanks,
Ged
edit..
Sorry just realised you get the user view like in the documentation if you change views to power user rather than service providers.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like users and user roles will work for what I require.
If I create a new user in the Reseller account (as another owner) I only have access to the domains of the Reseller not their customers (students) domains and sub-domains and you only get the power user view not the service provider view.
Also if the account already exist under a different user you can't add it to the customer to get access, could this be done via API just by referencing the userID rather than creating another account?
At the moment it looks like the only option is sharing the Reseller username and password with the Lecturers or creating a script to authenticate them separately and use the XML API to create a session and forward them to it for the Resseler user, all a bit messy.
I really hope i'm missing something obvious, the joys of deploying with a deadline of yesterday :).
Thanks,
Ged

Could use the admin api to get an auth token and login directly to the specific students as well...

Could use the admin api to get an auth token and login directly to the specific students as well...
Yep I think that is my only option, create a script to log the lecturers in via the API with a custom button off their accounts.
It is a shame their is no simpler way to delegate access as I would like the logs to be more explicit of who does what, but at least I'll have a separate authentication log.
Thanks,
Ged

Back