1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

My complaint about Plesk Expand

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.3 General Discussion' started by wsani, May 26, 2009.

1. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    I wish for you to submit my comments below to the appropriate person in command regarding the recent Plesk Expand conversation we had.

It seems that Parallels as a company is only interested in one thing, and that's to increase cash flow in any way possible. If that means that Parallels develops a product that will make some money initially at the cost of the customer's expense, then it will be done at the expense of their customers.

Unfortunately, a small business owner doesn't have the luxury of switching between server software very easily. As a small business owner, I can tell you that my decision to purchase Plesk Expand or anything that has to do with Plesk has done nothing but to hurt the reputation of my company, and it has left much to be desired. I was sold on a technology that was going to make my customer lives easier through the centralization of several server technologies. I was also sold on the notion that I would be able to package our Linux and Windows hosting offering through one unified interface. While Parallels delivered on that promise, it fell short of anything that was stable. The result is that I've lost customer because of the software issues, and I'm still expected to continue with a broken server software,
    which means lost income.

If you're going to compete with the likes of cPanel, then you need to consider the fact that their development cycles are far more superior and much quicker. They do not make any promises that they can't deliver on. The fact remains that I've spent over $3000 dollars in software license fees and spend over $500.00 (and growing) recurring fees per month for Plesk licenses, just to keep my operation running. I'm unable to upgrade any of my Plesk servers to the latest version and take advantage of the latest releases because of a road block named Plesk Expand. Additionally, in this down economy and cut throat industry, I have to remain competitive by offering services that are on the bleeding edge.

I have yet to see any return on my investment toward Parallels that would make me feel any better.

I'm having to reconsider switching to a different control panel once again to alleviate this issue. And it seems that I won't be able too since Plesk Expand doesn't even leave any upgrade or migration paths. I'm sure the income that I provide to Parallels is trivial in comparison to the likes of MediaTemple, etc. but your company is standing to lose my business and leaving me with no other choices but to re-consider.

Yours sincerely,
    An extremely disgruntled customer.

2. svaughan

svaughan Guest

I some how doubt Parallels even read this forum, you would be better off emailing them directly

3. intosh

intosh Guest

In fact it works two ways. Parallers wont care about customers so in return customers wont care about them. This email is in the right place, all ones who are interested in Expand or other Parallers product can read it and reconsider their options.

4. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    My point exactly. Parallels have pulled a complete bait and switch with Plesk Expand. The amount of money and the sheer number of man hours spent troubleshooting this product speaks volumes about how bad our experience with this company has been.

Yet, I'm receiving phone calls from them asking me to consider their partner program?! How would I even consider this when I know in confidence that this will happen again?

I'm personally at a stale mate, I have customers leaving me, no new business, and I'm stuck with this product that I can't migrate from...

5. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    This is a copy of my email sent to their sales and account rep. I feel it would be only fair to display my concern in a public forum for those who are considering the product.

6. svaughan

svaughan Guest

I'm curious to know what doesn't work with Plesk Expand.. I know you've mentioned not being able to upgrade to Plesk 9, which again isn't really worth it, but what else about Expand is broken?

We are seriously considering moving to it, Plesk 8 has it's problems, but it works.. I can't imagine Expand would be any worse.

7. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    I suggest you look at this forum, so I don't sound like a broken record, my username has plenty of posts. I also suggest you look at the 2.2 forums, plenty more there too.

But just to describe some issues:

- CMAIL limits defunct.
    - DNS sync always out of sync.
    - CBackup broken, not to mention backups processes killing servers.
    - Domains stuck in pending more with CMAIL.
    - Adding Central MySQL to a new Plesk server sometimes fails and requires that I run the following because the required privileges aren't set:

* select User,Host,Grant_priv from user where User='admin';
    * update user set Grant_priv='Y' where User='admin';

- Perpetual migrations, that will not stop:

* /usr/local/expand/sbin/expandmysql -e 'DELETE FROM plesk_migration_objects WHERE migration_id=FAILED_MIGRATION_ID'

- CDNS retaining stale records of domains that are no longer hosted, ultimately causing to fail.
    - CMAIL retaining domains/client not on file or no longer hosted.
    - Plesk client limit mismatch from limits in expand.
    - Unable to replace IP addresses in case, if they need to be rotated on a plesk server.
    - Arbitrary failures.
    - Total loss of mailboxes on CMAIL because of arbitrary IP conflict.
    - Expand database and clean up task not running causing tm_action and tm_tasks to grow up to 16 GB each!
    - Task manager always failing, requiring me to write up a script perform health checks.

I'm not making this up. I have no intention of bad mouthing a vendor's product.

8. wsani

wsani Silver Pleskian

40%
    Oh yeah, no support for Plesk Expand in Parallels billing what-so-ever, regardless of the fact that they've always advertised it as "supported". I even paid their engineers and they couldn't figure it out. If this isn't considered bait and switch, I don't know what is...

9. svaughan

svaughan Guest

ok thanks for the info. We aren't planning to use the DNS or backup facilities in expand, mostly just the migration tools. Having to set the correct permissions on the mysql database user isn't an expand problem...