• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySQL 4.1 or 5.0 on 7.5.4?

R

robert8450

How do I determine which mysql will safely work with plesk?

I currently have plesk 7.5.4 which was just upgraded last night from 7.5.3 because I was informed by a nice lady from the plesk staff that upgrading to 7.5.4 should also upgrade the mysql.

Well either the auto installer did not work properly (though it seems to have upgraded everything else just fine) becuase I still have mysql 4.0, or I was misinformed or misunderstood.

Regardless, running the autoinstaller did not upgrade mysql 4.0 and I need to get that up to at least mysql 4.1 as I have a new customer that was previously using cpanel & mysql 4.1 and we cannot recover any of his DB backups as they were created with 4.1 on the cpanel system

Therefore, How do I determine the best and safest mysql installation to update the current mysql 4.0 that I have?

From the MySQL website, they suggest that MySQL 5.0 is the most recent STABLE release yet when upgrading, you should stay in the same series (and in this case that would be 4.1)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/choosing-version.html

However they do not say if it is compatible with plesk or not. So, if it is possible without causing any problems, I would like to upgrade my plesk 7.5.4 to MySQL 5.0 but I don't need any more problems so can you suggest the best and safest mySQL to upgrade to?

Thank you for your time to read and understand this request.

PS Just in case you need more information to make a decision or post a reply, please consider the following: We have two servers, one is a Celeron with SUSE linux 9.1 and the other is an Intel P4 with hyperthreading and SUSE Linux 9.1 Both have 1GB RAM and sufficient HD space and both have Plesk installed.

Robert,

I watch the forums fairly closely, from what I've read, getting mysql 5 to work with plesk is difficult (I don't know that I've seen anyone post that they have installed it successfully, but could be wrong). This may not be a problem if you are only running your own code, but many of the applications that work with plesk, have not been upgraded to work with 5.0. Hope the additional info helps.

thank you tmonsen,

From reading more of the MySQL website http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html I think I will probably have to agree with you that upgrading 4.0 to 5.0 is going to be a problem for me since I am a novice.

Acording to their website and from my limited understanding of this process, upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 can be somewhat tricky. I think I am going to see if I can hire someone to do this for me. Because I don't want to break 120+ websites just for one new customer.

I may even just get a new Cpanel server with 4.1 or 5.0 already installed on it and put some customers there as opposed to breaking my primary & secondary servers.

Any input that I could get from the SWSoft staff right now about this would be greatly appreciated please.

thank you.

I submitted a trouble ticket about this and here is the response I got in case it may help the next person:

Hello,

MySQL 5 is not supported by Plesk 7.5.4

Our records indicate that you have purchased through one of SWsoft resellers. As such, they are your first point of contact for support and general inquiry. If you wish to receive support directly from SWsoft, we would like to offer you the following options:

<> Per incident support - $75
<> Unlimited 24/7 e-mail support for one year - $299
<> Premium support - Unlimited e-mail support plus 25 phone instances for one year - $549

Please order your Plesk support package today at...

to which I replied,

Ok thank you for letting me know that mysql 5.0 is not supported in Plesk 7.5.4 Will mysql 4.1 safely work with 7.5.4? and was the auto-installer that I ran suppose to automatically update mysql 4.0 when I upgraded from 7.5.3 to 7.5.4?

thank you for your help.

***UPDATE***

Here is the response I just got back from plesk technical support:

Plesk 7.5.4 works fine with mysql 4.1. Auto-installer doesn't upgrade mysql. You should do it manually.

Well, that answers that. Have you guys had pretty good luck upgrading mysql 4.0 to 4.1 on your Plesk 7.5.4 machines?

yeah 4.1 rpm's from art works fine, for more info do a search many have done it.

Back