• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mysql 5.5 - unknown os charset

slayer1ss

Basic Pleskian
We have a special application that works on 3 servers, 1 of them is main server and others are mysql replicate servers basically used for generating reports or backups...

Server 1 - Centos 6.5/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 12
Server 2 - Centos 6.5/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 11
Server 3 - Server 2008 R2/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 12

Server 1->Server 2 replication works perfectly
Server 1->Server 3 replication sometimes fails with character issues(our database and tables use utf8_turkish_ci), when i tried to investigate this issue by logging in to mysql on Server 3 right after connection i saw "Unknown OS Character Set 'cp857' Switching to default character set latin1" and i am guessing that my replication issues are also related to this issue. I tried adding below settings to my.ini at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Databases\MySQL\data"

[mysqld]
init_connect='SET collation_connection = utf8_turkish_ci'
init_connect='SET NAMES utf8'
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_turkish_ci
skip-character-set-client-handshake
[mysql]
default-character-set=utf8
default-collation=utf8_turkish_ci
[client]

but didnt change anything, i was wondering if these settings were wrong so i tried them at my local wamp installation which i was having same error, but error was gone after adding them to my.ini so i think settings are alright... I have been searching for a solution for last 3 days but i cant find anything, can someone please advise on this?

Last edited:
It seems that character set of the Operating System doesn't match to character set of the databases/tables or client connection. Try to set it on OS level in Windows settings.

It seems that character set of the Operating System doesn't match to character set of the databases/tables or client connection. Try to set it on OS level in Windows settings.
Thank you for your answer... Before creating this topic i thought about that and tested it too, OS language was US English and just to make sure i downloaded Turkish language pack from this link "http://download.microsoft.com/downl...83593505F5/Windows6.1-KB2483139-x64-tr-TR.exe" and restarted server, now OS is in Turkish but nothing changed... One thing i dont understand is both server and my local wamp is using same mysql version why do these settings work on local installation but doesnt work on server? Since i get that error right after connection i am guessing that problem is not related to database/table charset but client connection and i have settings in my.ini to set connection charset to utf8... So what now?

You will need to select correct character sets from collation. You can use phpmy admin for the same. In operation section you will find it.

I need to setup a replication between 2 servers for real time backup purposes, my both servers are windows based and have plesk. Backup server has plesk 12.5.3 installed, and i am very new to plesk , so not sure where to begin with , is there any guide , how can i access the mysql. Plesk 12.5 server is missing the folder MySQL51 and if i login to CLI using Plesk/MySQL/bin/mysql.exe, it doesn't show me databases that i created using panel. so i am kind of lost where to access the right mysql from , and it would be great , if you can share with me any steps to perform the replication.

Right now major problem seems to locate the MySQL , so that i can alter it's settings to allow replication and do master slave relation.

Thanks

We have a special application that works on 3 servers, 1 of them is main server and others are mysql replicate servers basically used for generating reports or backups...

Server 1 - Centos 6.5/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 12
Server 2 - Centos 6.5/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 11
Server 3 - Server 2008 R2/Mysql 5.5/Plesk 12

Server 1->Server 2 replication works perfectly
Server 1->Server 3 replication sometimes fails with character issues(our database and tables use utf8_turkish_ci), when i tried to investigate this issue by logging in to mysql on Server 3 right after connection i saw "Unknown OS Character Set 'cp857' Switching to default character set latin1" and i am guessing that my replication issues are also related to this issue. I tried adding below settings to my.ini at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\Databases\MySQL\data"

[mysqld]
init_connect='SET collation_connection = utf8_turkish_ci'
init_connect='SET NAMES utf8'
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_turkish_ci
skip-character-set-client-handshake
[mysql]
[client]

but didnt change anything, i was wondering if these settings were wrong so i tried them at my local wamp installation which i was having same error, but error was gone after adding them to my.ini so i think settings are alright... I have been searching for a solution for last 3 days but i cant find anything, can someone please advise on this?

You will need to select correct character sets from collation. You can use phpmy admin for the same. In operation section you will find it.

Back