• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mysql server and client versions different?

Slavik

Basic Pleskian
Just updated to php5.3 and mysql 5.5

However in phpmyadmin it shows

* Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
* Server version: 5.5.14
* Protocol version: 10
* User: admin@localhost
* MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

And

# sw-cp-server/1.0.0
# MySQL client version: 5.0.77
# PHP extension: mysql

The client isn't matching the server?

Any suggestions?

# rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-5.5.14-11071510
php53-mysql-5.3.3-1.el5_6.1
libmysqlclient15-5.0.77-4.el5_5.4.11062011
mysql-server-5.5.14-11071510
mysql-libs-5.5.14-11071510
plesk-mysql-5.5-11053114
mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.26r1127-1.el5

And what is problem here? You see the same versions in interface as versions in CLI output. How it is affect Plesk operation or something else?

Hi guys

I have the same issue. Not sure if it is a problem, but PhpMyAdmin complains that the libmysqlclient is a different version then the mysqld. I guess the rest of the mysql rpms is updated from Parallels, but not the libmysqlclient.

As I said, I'm not sure if this will create any problems, but we have clients reporting back to us that PhpMyAdmin gives this warning:
"Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.77 differs from your MySQL server version 5.5.14. This may cause unpredictable behavior."

None of them explains why you didn't care to upgrade libmysqlclient when you did upgrade the rest of the MySQL. One of the posts the user is asked to go to the Atomic Turtle forum, but I don't run that rep on this server. The MySQL packages is from you:
# rpm -qi mysql
Name : mysql Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 5.5.14 Vendor: Parallels
Release : 11071510 Build Date: Fri 15 Jul 2011 05:29:09 AM CEST
Install Date: Wed 12 Oct 2011 02:28:21 AM CEST Build Host: brhas5.plesk.ru
Group : Applications/Databases Source RPM: mysql-5.5.14-11071510.src.rpm
Size : 30480579 License: GPLv2 with exceptions
Signature : (none)
Packager : Parallels <[email protected]>
Summary : MySQL client programs and shared libraries.

The libmysqlclient is not in your repo, so I can't upgrade it. Which, according to previous posts, leaves me with the option to downgrade it and replace the RPMs from Parallels and use CentOs older version.

Of course, I can keep my fingers crossed and hope it works as it should.

A problem Ive been dealing with for 8 years now :p I'm trying to think of a quick way to explain it... so bare with me (it took me about 20 minutes to write this).

1. PHP can only be linked against a single mysql client library (5.0, 5.1, or 5.5)
2. If you link against a 5.5.x mysql client then the system will require that to be installed when php is installed
3. Some people might not want mysql 5.5.x, so the package is linked against the native version (5.1 in your case)
Result: Packager (parallels) links against the native client library, so a mysql upgrade isnt required when you upgrade php. For the packager, this design involves the least amount of work.

There is another way around it, but can cause other downstream problems for the packager. You link the package against the newer client (5.5.x), and then provide compatiblity libraries that live outside of the mysql-* packages to handle the condition where the system has mysql 5.0 or 5.1. This means that php is using the mysql 5.5.x client, and connecting to a 5.0 or 5.1 server. It works fine against mysql 5, 5.1, and 5.5 servers.

Ive bounced back and forth on this with the Atomic packages over the years. In the end I opted to link PHP 5.3.8 against mysql 5.5.17 and then provide backwards compat libaries for 5.1 environments.

So to your question, does this client mismatch affect operations. For the vast majority, no. Its going to be fine, where you would run into problems are with higher level mysql operations that phpmyadmin uses. So the warning is valid, at least when you're dealing with mysql 5.5 databases (if you had this on 5.0 or 5.1, its not an issue). Especially if you're still on mysql 5.5.14, there have been a number of very important bug fixes that resolve some of the nastier outstanding issues with innodb in 5.5.x.

Thanks a lot for explaing that :)

I hope my clients don't require the more advanced features, and I suspect they don't really care. If they need it I guess they would not go for a shared hosting in the first place. And in worst case we have other servers we can move the client too if this creates a problem.

I did think it was Parallels who where the maintainer of the php53 packages too, but I can see now that it is CentOS. Which explains why Parallels did leave the libmysqlclient to the default version.

Again, thanks a lot for the reply :)

Robert Oedegaard

Back